No announcement yet.

DirectX 10 cards...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asher is right; wait for Conroe chips to be released .

Conroe's will absolutely kick ass, while AMD's socket 939 chips are already plummetting in price, and increased competition between AM2 and Conroe chips and boards will drive prices down.

Personally, I think that AM2 is a bit of a wipeout. DDR2 memory typically has a higher latency than DDR, which pretty much negates the Athlon 64's advantage of an onboard memory controller. Meantime, the higher bandwidth of DDR2 allows Intel's new chips to really fly.

As far as your graphics card is concerned, what are you really using it for? If you just need reasonable frame rates on a 1280x1024 monitor, see if you can pick up an old 7800GT, or a 7600GT, or X1800XL. If you want more, you pay more unfortunately. The Radeon X1900XT is a good (if somewhat noisy) buy. A good compromise would be a Geforce 7900GT... amazing graphics with power to spare and easily £100 cheaper than an X1900XT.

Nevertheless, if you want my advice, if you need a reasonable system now, buy mid range components... say a cheap socket 939 AMD 64 X2 chip, like the 3800, a solid nForce4 SLI motherboard, and a Geforce 7800 or 7600 GPU. When Vista is released, driver issues will be take time to be resolved, as will compatibility with existing games. I think it'd be best to wait until perhaps 12-18 months from now to really splash out on a hardcore gamers PC .
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

I'd wait and buy a new computer when the next version of windows comes out.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I don't see why that factors into buying hardware.

Hardware decisions should be made based on hardware.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by korn469
          I recommend checking out www.cyberpowerpc.com I bought a computer from back in the middle of May
          Isn't it a bit too expensive to get a computer shipped to DK from the US?

Originally posted by Whaleboy
          As far as your graphics card is concerned, what are you really using it for?
          I do play a lot of games, and my current very old computer I can't play all games, and those I can play has a low framerate. Civ IV is the only game that runs well on this computer... most of the time anyway
          And I would like to have a computer that lasts for a long time, and just for once I'd like to have a top-of-the-line computer
          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Hardware decisions should be made based on hardware.
            I'd disagree with that; I think hardware decisions should be based on what software will be running on it.
            "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison

Comment

And I would like to have a computer that lasts for a long time, and just for once I'd like to have a top-of-the-line computer
              Can't argue with that! Its the dilemma of buying a computer.... what you buy now will be obsolete before its out of the box, but you'll have it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy
                I'd disagree with that; I think hardware decisions should be based on what software will be running on it.
                That's rather implicit, but when we know exactly what the demands are for software, there is no point at all in waiting for it to be released.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                X