• World Soda Thread XIXVIII - Germany 2006

I'm off to the bar.

Anybody fancy a drink?

Attached Files
    I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

Discover the joy of hex

June 20, 2006

"PUT a curse on the team you love to hate with this special set," read the instructions on a special World Cup voodoo set on sale in Germany, containing one doll, 32 national emblems and five needles. "Weaken any opponents. Simply attach the emblem, stick in the needles and off you go," says the maker, adding that there is, of course, "No guarantee!" it will work. It is a sign that the sporting apocalypse is upon us that football fans in Germany can't buy a match program - they simply do not exist - but have an unprecedented choice of bizarre, usually tasteless, sometimes toilet, souvenirs.

From voodoo magic sets to embossed "top shot" vibrators. From plastic World War I helmets to stick-on Hitler moustaches. From World Cup trivia toilet paper to ham slices decorated with dribbling footballers. Legally, only 15 companies bought rights to use the official World Cup logo. But even the almighty FIFA can do little to stop piracy and prevent footballs, goalposts and cups on everything from pots of potato salad to people-movers.

... And a market has been started in off-beat collectables, such as the piece of chewing gum spat out by Arsenal goalkeeper Jens Lehmann when Germany conceded their second goal to Costa Rica in the opening match of the finals. It was advertised on eBay last week for €2.50, or about $6. Just the gift for the football widow left back in Oz.

Comment

Six fans 'die of excitement'
        At least six people have reportedly dropped dead of excitement or stress after watching late-night World Cup football matches in China.

One 43-year-old woman with a history of high blood pressure reportedly dropped dead in Zhejiang after becoming highly excited during the South Korea versus Togo clash last Wednesday morning.

Other football-related deaths have been reported in Changsha, Zhuhai and Wenzhou, the Hong Kong-based South China Morning Post reported.

Millions of people in the nation of 1.3 billion have been staying up as late as 5am to watch the World Cup live, even though China did not qualify for the finals.

Comment

And newspapers here reported a 60 year old Japanese man in Taiwan committed suicide after Japan failed to advance from the group play.

There were also some deaths in clashes related to the World Cup in Ivory Coast, or was it Ghana.

Comment

... and another stein of lager for my friend with the funny accent.

There was a great article about how many Americans expected their team to win the Cup. Something like 60% of them actually thought they'd go all the way.

Some of the other nations were perhaps overly optimistic, but the Yanks really won it in their own heads.

... on second thought. Forget about that lager. I think he's had enough.
            Attached Files

Comment

There was a great article about how many Americans expected their team to win the Cup.
              LOOL and give us the damn link We need more laughter in our lives
              I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Terra Nullius sure seems to have an axe to grind against the FIFA world cup this year, doesn't he?
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
                  and give us the damn drink
                  fixed

Campari for the gentleman?

(I'd give you the link, but your guys ain't gonna live long enough to enjoy it. )

Comment

Instead, I'll have a cigarette right now, laughing about US Soccer at every single puff
                    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                      Terra Nullius sure seems to have an axe to grind against the FIFA world cup
                      Not at all. It's a lovely entree for the main event.

But this idea of one thread to rule them all must end.

I have no intention of discussing short-stops, mid-fielders, the intricacies of the off-side rule or the fine details of some new Arsenspurs contract.

It's a festival. OK?
                      ... and at festivals, we get drunk, talk trash and point and laugh at all the funny people with silly hats. You wouldn't want me doing that in the sacred 'Football' thread, now would you?

So yeah. No intricate details to be discussed here people. This is a stand-around-the bar and talk-about-how-crap-the-(insert nationality here)-are thread.

Comment

Ah. Found it.

... and you'll notice there's more than just the US to laugh about.

Portugal, US and Dutch most confident
                        June 21, 2006

AMSTERDAM: Fans from Portugal, the US and the Netherlands are the most cocksure about the chances of their teams at the World Cup, a survey has revealed.

Nearly two out of three Portuguese fans expect their team to win the World Cup, according to the online poll by a US-based company. In America, one in three fans expect their side to walk away with the trophy, while 42 per cent of the Dutch reckon Marco van Basten's men will win it.

Spain, France, England and Germany make up the rest of the seven most confident sets of fans. Brazil were most often tipped as the winners but the range was wide, with 46 per cent of the French expecting the South Americans to win compared to just 20 per cent of US fans.

Reuters

Comment

Originally posted by Terra Nullius
                          Ah. Found it.

... and you'll notice there's more than just the US to laugh about.

Portugal, US and Dutch most confident
                          June 21, 2006

AMSTERDAM: Fans from Portugal, the US and the Netherlands are the most cocksure about the chances of their teams at the World Cup, a survey has revealed.

Nearly two out of three Portuguese fans expect their team to win the World Cup, according to the online poll by a US-based company. In America, one in three fans expect their side to walk away with the trophy, while 42 per cent of the Dutch reckon Marco van Basten's men will win it.

Spain, France, England and Germany make up the rest of the seven most confident sets of fans. Brazil were most often tipped as the winners but the range was wide, with 46 per cent of the French expecting the South Americans to win compared to just 20 per cent of US fans.

Reuters
                          The thing i get out of that is that you can't do math.

1 in 3 is not 60%.

ACK!
                          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

12 yellows and 2 reds and the game aint over yet. the ref is losing control/
                            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

make that 3 reds, deco just got sent off. whos the ref? these rules are ridiculous. in 20 years i have never seen so many yellows being given out.
                              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Working...
                              X