Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holland bought the Ref!!1!

Portugal! Portugal! PORTUGAL!!!

NDTV Sports is the ultimate destination for Sports fans from around the World. Get latest sports news and updates from Cricket, Tennis, Football, Formula One, Hockey, NBA and Golf with Live scores and Stats

Hockey: Dutch upset Aussies to win title

Sunday, June 25, 2006 (Kuala Lumpur):

The Netherlands orchestrated a blitzkrieg that annihilated Olympic champions and holders Australia 6-2 in the final of the 15th Sultan Azlan Shah hockey tournament at Kuala Lumpur on Sunday.

In a shocking reversal of form, the Dutch, who had struggled right through the tournament, turned on the heat and scored at regular intervals to puncture the Aussie bubble.

Australia, winners here four times and the defending champions, were left with no answer to the assault and only in the later stages of the game did they get their bearings to scramble home a couple of goals. But it was all too little too late.

Earlier in the day, India beat New Zealand 3-2 to finish third in the eight-nation tourney. Hari Prasad scored a brace while Sandeep Singh also chipped in to star in India's win. For New Zealand, Simon Child and Hayden Shaw netted the goals.

The Dutch displayed their tactical superiority from the beginning as they did not allow the Aussies to function with tight man-to-man marking. And once the Dutch opened the scoring, Australia sank in a veritable flood of goals.

For the Dutch, it was veteran Teun de Nooijer who once again masterminded the victory. With his roaming duties, de Nooijer craftily utilised the smallest of openings in the Aussie defence to pave the way for goals.

It was the first Azlan Shah win for the Dutch in their second attempt but coach Roelant Oltmans played down the success.

"If it was the World Cup final, I would have been the happiest man around. But at this tournament, it did not matter whether you won or lost. The important point was that we got to play together as a team and an important preparatory outing for the World Cup," he said.

Oltmans expressed surprise at the scoreline.

"Of course I am surprised, even granting that the Australians were not at full strength here. But still, to beat the Olympic champions by such a big margin indeed is a huge surprise," he said.

Final team positions: 1. The Netherlands. 2. Australia. 3. India. 4. New Zealand. 5. Pakistan. 6. Korea. 7. Argentina. 8. Malaysia.

Man of the match: Teun de Nooijer (The Netherlands)

Fair Play: Pakistan

Player of the Tournament and Top goalscorer:
    Roderick Weushtof (The Netherlands, 4 goals)
    I don't know what I am - Pekka

Are you looking to watch the latest Telugu full movies online & popular Tollywood hits for Free? Here is 10 best sites to Free watch Telugu movies online.

Azlan Shah hockey: Netherlands triumph, India third

Kuala Lumpur, June 25 (IANS)
    The Netherlands made their return to the 15th Azlan Shah Cup hockey tournament a memorable one as they clinched the title beating defending champions Australia 6-2 in the final Sunday.

Earlier in the day, former champions India had defeated New Zealand 3-2 to win the bronze medal at the same Bukit Jalil Stadium.

The Netherlands, who struggled throughout the tournament, rediscovered their form at the right moment to lead 2-0 at half-time.

Pakistan had the consolation of winning the Fair Play award.

That the Netherlands were far superior was evident from the number of penetrations they made into Australia's striking circle. They made 20 such attempts while Australia managed 15.

The Netherlands took 12 shots at the rival goal and Australia mustered six - which says a lot about the good work done by the Dutch defenders.

It was quite surprising that Australia who had an easy passage into the final - barring the semi-final against India against whom they scored as late as the 65th minute - were completely off-colour while the Dutch raised their game a few notches at the right time.

Comment

England beat Ecuador fair and square, the Dutch really didn't want to face England and claims of match fixing are completely unfounded.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Why didnt Germany play?

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
          England beat Ecuador fair and square, the Dutch really didn't want to face England and claims of match fixing are completely unfounded.
          This is about Hockey

Comment

You do not know the power of the Dutch side.

Comment

KUALA LUMPUR, June 17: Olympic Champions Australia are bidding to make it three in a row when they take to the field...

KUALA LUMPUR, June 17:
              Olympic Champions Australia are bidding to make it three in a row when they take to the field at the Azlan Shah Cup hockey tournament beginning here on Sunday. The Australians have won the last two editions and are odds-on favourites to add a third consecutive title to their collection, but they are expected to face stiff competition from an in-form Dutch side.

The Dutch are ranked three in the world, after Australia and Germany, and are seen as leading contenders for the World Cup title in September. Germany is not fielding a side for the Sultan Azlan Shah trophy.

I can't find any specific reason for it. They probably just decided to focus their efforts on the World Cup.

The Kookaburras also played five juniors in their team. At the moment, preparation for the Cup is the first priority. Maybe they just decided to the schedule was too tight.

Comment

Originally posted by atawa

This is about Hockey
                Is that forrin for football?
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

They were probaly watching football with the rest of the planet. The WC is by far the biggest sporting event in the world, with the summer olympics a distant second.

Comment

Is that forrin for football?
                    Nope. No scrums, no conversions, etc.

It's probably more like soccer - without the haircuts.

Comment

You are the only poster here who cares about field hockey.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Awww

I care about you too darl.

But if I started a new thread every time Canada bombed out of a major tournament,..

Comment

I honestly didn't even know there were major field hockey tournaments, that's how much Canada is involved with field hockey.

It's played by high school girls here only, and I think Ringette is more popular now in that demographic...
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Nah, most girls play real sports these days. Making them play field hockey and ringette is sexist.
                            ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X