Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jonny

I third this nomination.

If you have half a day free somewhere, I recommend the trip down to the Museum of Science & Industry. There's currently an exhibit of da Vinci's inventions which is alright; I also highly suggest the U-505 (captured U-boat) exhibit there. Closer to downtown, the Field Museum, Art Institute, Shedd Aquarium, are also all good, as others have said.

Pretty much everything else mentioned here so far is good, too.
    I haven't been to the Shedd in years, but my sister tells me that the renovation/expansion it went through a few years back has turned it into a must-see. I hope to catch it myself when I'm in Chi in late July.

Science and Industry's a bit far afield, but it's cool to note that it's housed in the only building left standing from The Columbian Exposition of 1893, one of the great events in American cultural history (and subject of the excellent book, The Devil in the White City).
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Due's is kitty-coner from Uno's. For some odd reason, the pizza is better at Due's than Uno's. The original Gino's East is better still. You have to wait an hour to be seated, than another 45 minutes for pie. Skip both and head to Baccino's, Edwardos, Nancy's, Connie's, or last, but not least, Giordanos.

For hotdogs, Gold Coast Dogs. Most places you can get a pretty decent Italian beef, but Portillo's is passable for both beef and dog.

Potbelly's has an amazing sub. Or, if you can make it for lunch, check out Perry's Deli on Franklin in the Loop. Get one of the triple decker sandwhiches and try and figure out how to eat it.

If you go to Ann Sather's, make sure you get the cinnamon rolls. They are to die for.

Check out Millenium Park. It's way cool. There's a lot of outdoor art around the Loop. There's a Picasso in Daley Plaza and a Chagall at First National Plaza.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
        Due's is kitty-coner from Uno's. For some odd reason, the pizza is better at Due's than Uno's.
        This has always puzzled me, too. Glad I'm not the only one...
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Due and Uno's are still kinda... greasy. I'd really suggest Eduardo's, but... they're all kinda not downtown, so.
          B♭3

Comment

Baccino's is downtown, on Wacker right before Wabash.

There's two types of Chicago style pie, BD. Gino's/Uno's style is the original, deep dish crust, cheese, toppings, and sauce, about two-three inches thick. Baccino's, Edward's, etc. style is similar, but but the cheese and toppings are mixed together, and there's an additional layer of crust over the toppings, which is then covered with sauce. Both rock.

If you're up for a trip, take the Red Line up to the Morse el stop, get off an head toward the lake. About half a block from the el stop is a place that just says, Pizza. Best thick crust (the kind everyone outside of Chicago thinks is Chicago-style) in Chicago, and you can get it by the slice.It is soooo good. It's just around the block from the Heartland Cafe, which GP seems to be fixated on (since they have one of the best beer selections in the Midwest).
            Last edited by chequita guevara; June 26, 2006, 00:36.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Due

I'd definitely recommend the House of Blues, see what's playing (and see one of the smaller acts, the big ones'll be sold out and blah you can see them anywhere anyway). It's on the river, I think on Wabash and the river (maybe State, I forget). Also check the Reader, or even Time Out Chicago (at most bookstores, there's a Borders on Michigan about half a mile north of the river) for smaller locales. There are quite a few near the loop/mag mile.

Other good food that's not particularly chainy: Banderas, used to be better but still quite good and has live music; Michigan and Ohio (right above a citibank on the E side of the street). Silver Spoon is a great Thai restaurant, quite cheap, on Rush (1 street west of michigan) and Superior or maybe Huron. Chainy but good: P.J. Clarkes, at Fairbanks and Illinois (below michigan avenue, near navy pier, east of michigan ave). Corner Bakery, several (dearborn and randolph in north loop, st. claire and superior just east of mich ave/mag mile area, etc.) very good breakfast.

<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

As a former resident I'll defer to any judgements current residents might have (especially JRabbit for music).

House of Blues is a national chain currently playing acts like David Lee Roth and the Go Gos.

Go for the real deal instead B.L.U.E.S. 2519 N. Halsted (Red Line: Fullerton)
                or the nearby Kingston Mines 2548 N. Halsted (Red Line: Fullerton)

Second Cityfor improvisational comedy; alma mater of most of the original Saturday Night live cast, as well as Joan Rivers, Mike Meyers, George Wendt, and a host of others. Try to get tickets for the last show on Saturday night, and stay for the improvs afterward. Currently playing their 93rd Review, Iraqtile Dysfunction. 1616 N. Wells (Red Line: North and Clyburn)

And, of course, the Cubbies.
                Old posters never die.
                They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

If you have half a day free somewhere, I recommend the trip down to the Museum of Science & Industry. There's currently an exhibit of da Vinci's inventions which is alright; I also highly suggest the U-505 (captured U-boat) exhibit there.
                  Cool museum.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Another great place for the blues is Buddy Guys!

Buddy Guy's Legends,
                    754 S. Wabash
                    Chicago IL, 60605.

It's pretty close to the heart of the City.
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

the poka-dotted guitar
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Smith
                        As a former resident I'll defer to any judgements current residents might have (especially JRabbit for music).

House of Blues is a national chain currently playing acts like David Lee Roth and the Go Gos.

Go for the real deal instead B.L.U.E.S. 2519 N. Halsted (Red Line: Fullerton)
                        or the nearby Kingston Mines 2548 N. Halsted (Red Line: Fullerton)

Second Cityfor improvisational comedy; alma mater of most of the original Saturday Night live cast, as well as Joan Rivers, Mike Meyers, George Wendt, and a host of others. Try to get tickets for the last show on Saturday night, and stay for the improvs afterward. Currently playing their 93rd Review, Iraqtile Dysfunction. 1616 N. Wells (Red Line: North and Clyburn)

And, of course, the Cubbies.
                        Ooooo, Second City! How could I forget!

Also, Chicagoans: There used to be a great blues/rock club in Rogers Park -- either right on or just off Sheridan -- but I can't remember the name (and it may not be there anymore). I saw a terrific Big Twist and the Mellow Fellows show there way back when. Anybody know the name of the club? It's driving me nuts.

Comment

MSI is great. I live about two blocks away

Second City is great also, "etc" is the "second" second city, next door or something... run by the same group, sort of the younger crowd of comedians, but also VERY funny, a bit more edgy. Oh, and easier to get tix to also
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Kingston Mines is where the Rolling Stones go when they are in Chicago. It is a very safe blues place, in every sense of the word. B.L.U.E.S. and Blues Chicago are also right there in the neighborhood if you feel like going for a blues pub crawl.

Ooh, if you're downtown in the daytime, try and find a Garrett's Popcorn. Get the cheese and caramel mix (sounds gross, is freakin' heavenly--it's very popular).

Skip Lowry's, which is based outta California, and instead try Morton's or Eli's for steak (Eli's being the home of Eli's cheesecake).

The Field Museum has the largest intact T-Rex skeleton, Sue. The Museum of Science and Industry has a Nazi sub and a coal mine. The Art Institute has the famous Serat painting, "Sunday in the Park" as well as Boulevard of Broken Dreams or whatever it's called and lots, lots more. Tribune Tower has stones from all over the world embedded in it, including parts of the Wailing Wall, the Berlin Wall, etc.

Comment

I spent the weekend in chicago a few weeks ago for a conference and went to the Art institute, loved. mill park-meh, u.chicago whitesox game and other assorted odds and ends. we were shocked how deserted the downtown was on the weekend daytime.

Comment

Nobody has mentioned Chicago Board of Trade and Chicago Mercantile Exchange yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X