No announcement yet.

Text Messaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Err, is that not what I thought you meant?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

No, i just meant to say that I understand why you need it in this particular circumstance.

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Monkeys. Your posts always confuse me, because your smiley signature causes me to automatically assume that whatever you're saying is a joke, even when your statements are completely toneless and neutral.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

You'd be suprised about how many inflammatory statements are missed because of the same thing.

ACK!
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
              I should have clarified and said phone to phone.
              It bypasses the formalities of calling somebody. Let's say I want to tell my friend Ginormous "I'm big in the sweet sauce pantaloons." If I text her, then I just need to say "I'm big in the sweet sauce pantaloons." However, if I call her, then have to go through the whole formality of "Hello?" "Hey Ginormous, this is loinburger." "Oh, hello, loinburger. What's up?" "I am big in the sweet sauce pantaloons." "Okay." "Talk to you later." "Bye."
              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Yeah, I generally prefer texting as well. In China, that's nearly all I ever did on my cellphone. Plus, you don't need to worry, if they don't answer. The message will still be there. And it's less annoying for other people. I'd rather have someone texting next to me than have to listen to his loud boring conversation.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Texts cost 12p (in Yookay money), when all you want to say is "Meet me at the pub at 7.30", whereas when you ring someone then you'll end up spending more than that, and run the risk of spoiling the big topics of conversation when you arrive at the aforementioned pub, and end up staring at hotties all night (again, but with no conversation to make it less obvious).

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york
                    Texts cost 12p (in Yookay money), when all you want to say is "Meet me at the pub at 7.30", whereas when you ring someone then you'll end up spending more than that, and run the risk of spoiling the big topics of conversation when you arrive at the aforementioned pub, and end up staring at hotties all night (again, but with no conversation to make it less obvious).
                    Nah, the combined price of "meet me at the pub" and the "OK" answer far outweights a short phone call, and thats without the initial recipitant asking "what time" and forcing another round of texts.

Comment

I pay a monthly fee of 5 USD to get unlimited text messages, because otherwise I'd go bankrupt.

Comment

A rather specific problem that text messaging addresses is that my friend has difficulty hearing voices in an extremely low register, and I have an extremely deep voice, so telephone conversations always last four times as long because I keep having to repeat myself. It's not as much of a problem when we're speaking face to face because she's pretty decent at reading lips.
                        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

what's the problem of cross network SMS? you don't have it in the states?
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

We do, but apparently not online.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                              First thing I did. Sprint only seems to want to be able to send text messages to other Sprint (and Nextel) phones.
                              No way! That's so arse backwards.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X