The next time you have contact with the police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The next time you have contact with the police

I sitting here getting ready for work after 2 nights off and I come across this story:

WALWORTH TOWNSHIP-A Walworth man is accused of grabbing the gun of a Walworth County deputy, holding her hostage and exchanging gunfire with police at a home south of Delavan Lake on Wednesday night.

The female deputy had responded to W6553 North Walworth Road about 11:34 p.m. for a domestic dispute.

The sheriff's department refused to release the deputy's name because the case remains under investigation.

When the deputy approached Robbie S. Dickerson, 26, in the front yard, she saw that he had a knife in his waistband, according to the sheriff's department.

The deputy attempted to disarm Dickerson, who appeared intoxicated, but he knocked her to the ground and took away her revolver.

When a second deputy and a village of Walworth police officer arrived, they saw Dickerson pointing the female deputy's revolver at her head. Dickerson fired one shot into the air and shot twice at arriving officers.

The village officer returned fire but missed, according to the sheriff's department.

Dickerson then forced the female deputy into the house, and a standoff ensued.

Dickerson and the deputy were the only two people in that unit of the multi-family home. The wife involved in the earlier domestic dispute was taken to a safe location when the second deputy arrived. Sheriff's officials believe Dickerson and his wife lived at the Walworth Road home.

Deputies and police officers from throughout the area converged on the scene, and the Walworth County SWAT team was dispatched.

Inside, Dickerson fired another round into the ceiling. Officers outside didn't know if the deputy had been shot, Sheriff David Graves said.

"I imagine they probably thought it was at her," Graves said.

The bullet went into an upstairs apartment, occupied by a family of three, but didn't strike anyone. Dickerson then appeared at a window holding the female at gunpoint. He yelled at the officers outside to shoot him, according to the sheriff's department.

The sheriff's department would not release other details about what happened inside the home.

The female deputy escaped when Dickerson momentarily let down his guard, Graves said.

"She found her opportunity, and she took it. It was quick thinking," Graves said. "She thought well on her feet. As soon as he showed a weak moment, she managed to get away from him."

She suffered only minor cuts and bruises, Graves said. After she was free, the deputy briefed other officers about the situation.

Dickerson remained inside with the gun for 15 to 20 minutes before surrendering, Graves said.

Police negotiated with him through the windows until he gave up. He was taken into custody at 12:31 a.m.

Investigators remained at the scene this morning, Graves said.

Dickerson is in custody at the Walworth County Jail facing at least two charges of attempted first-degree intentional homicide. He is scheduled to appear in court for a bail hearing at 1 p.m. Friday.

Dickerson has no adult criminal record but has several traffic violations, according to online court records.

Graves said Dickerson has juvenile violations; details could not be released.

The sheriff's department and other county police have been involved in hostage situations before but never with a fellow officer as the hostage, Graves said.

"Everybody maintained their poise," Graves said. "They didn't shoot inadvertently. They just did a really good job in handling a tense situation."

Officers from Walworth, Darien, town of Delavan, city of Delavan, Williams Bay, Linn, town of Geneva, Fontana and the Wisconsin State Patrol helped during the standoff.

The incident is being investigated by the sheriff's department, the Wisconsin Division of Criminal Investigation and the Wisconsin State Patrol. The outside agencies are helping because a sheriff's deputy was directly involved, Graves said.

Yes, even in my little neck of the woods. On any call, at any time, something like this could happen.

I know her. She is a friend and co-worker. Now she will probably have at least a week off and countless hours of therapy simpley because she was doing her job.

And think about this: It could have been me.

Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Sorry to hear that.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

What's the about? No one was hurt, and a crackpot is going away for a while.

Comment

Because anyone who had any empathy at all would understand that the deputy involved will be very emotionally hurt by this ...
        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Yeah, so obviously the deputy involved should be just fine.

I do hope she gets through it.

ACK!
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I can understand rattled, but hurt?

Comment

Kuci, your post is idotic.

(Attack the post, not the poster)

The next time you have contact with the police, it is situations like this that the cop is thinking about and how to prevent it from happening (hmm... meant for this to be in OP...). Compare this with "Oh crap! I'm gunna get a ticket!'. Sometimes this job sucks.
              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

With no disrespect to the thread starter intended(mean that seriously), I gently offer up the following which happend yesterday in Indy as another consequence. (the deceased was actually a client of a friend of mine, in the court I am usually in(felony drugs)

Suspect dies in police custody

Indianapolis police homicide detectives are investigating why a suspect died after officers subdued him with chemical spray and a Taser.

Joseph Stockdale confronted police with a ceramic statue and was resisting arrest, an Indianapolis police spokesman says. - Provided by IPD

Joseph Stockdale, 26, stopped breathing and was rushed to Wishard Memorial Hospital where he died at 9:09 p.m. Wednesday, IPD Major Lloyd Crowe said.
                Officers Matthew Churchman and Greg Milburn arrested Stockdale after they were called to a home in the 2900 block North Colorado Ave. on a domestic disturbance about 7:30 p.m.

“When the officers advised Joseph he was under arrest and attempted to place him in handcuffs, he became very combative,” Crowe said in a written statement. “A violent struggle started inside the residence, then moved outside to the front yard. At one point Mr. Stockdale, using a ceramic statue as a weapon, began swinging it in an attempt to strike the officers.”

The officers used chemical spray and a Taser to force Stockdale to comply and put him in handcuffs, Crowe said.

Police called for medics, who treated Stockdale for scrapes and chemical burns then left.

Stockdale stopped breathing while he and police waited for a transport van, Crowe said.

The Marion county coroner’s office has not yet determined the cause of death. An autopsy and toxicology tests are pending, police said.

The case will be investigated by homicide detectives, internal affairs officers and IPD’s Critical Incident Response Team, Crowe said.

An Indianapolis Star review of reports on more than 1,100 instances of Taser use in Marion County published in November found that at least 112 unarmed suspects were Tasered while fleeing IPD or sheriff’s deputies, at least 87 people were shocked while handcuffed, and only one in 12 Tasered suspects was reported to have been armed.

The number of the stun guns carried by IPD quadrupled to more than 400 in the past two years. The Taser delivers up to 50,000 volts of low-amperage electricity through a direct stun or through two barbs shot into the body from up to 21 feet away.

Increased Taser use comes as human rights group Amnesty International says the weapon may have been a factor in more than 100 deaths since June 2001 in the U.S. and Canada, although the deaths generally were officially attributed to heart problems or drug overdoses. In July, the Cook County, Ill., medical examiner’s office ruled a 54-year-old Indiana man on drugs died primarily from Taser jolts.

About 35 wrongful death, personal injury or excessive force lawsuits are pending against Taser International.

The family of James Borden, Bedford, who died after being shocked with a stun gun, dropped a suit against the company in October citing the expense of litigation.

Borden’s family earlier had reached a combined $500,000 settlement with Lawrence and Monroe counties in Borden’s death, and prosecutors charged former Monroe County Jail Officer David Shaw with felony counts of battery with a deadly weapon and battery causing serious bodily injury.

Shaw shocked Borden at least three times in November 2003 after Borden was taken to the Bloomington jail on a probation violation.

Dr. Roland Kohr, a Terre Haute forensic pathologist who performed the autopsy, found that while Borden had an enlarged heart and had taken too much medication, the shockings contributed to Borden’s death.

Comment

Re: The next time you have contact with the police

Originally posted by Donegeal

Yes, even in my little neck of the woods. On any call, at any time, something like this could happen.

I know her. She is a friend and co-worker. Now she will probably have at least a week off and countless hours of therapy simpley because she was doing her job.

And think about this: It could have been me.

Funny how things work out:

You are very upset when someone you know gets a gun pointed to her head but you support a president that sends the mightiest miliatry in the world into a foreign country.

That said, I hope she will get well soon. This kind of thing should not happen to anyone.
                  "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Unreal. She was at work last night. Her nose was scraped up and she had a mark on her neck, but she seemed fine. I asked her what she was doing coming into work, and she said that she wasn't too hurt and coming in would at least give her a venue of people she could talk to who would understand. I told her she was a better man than I...

Originally posted by dannubis
                    You are very upset when someone you know gets a gun pointed to her head but you support a president that sends the mightiest miliatry in the world into a foreign country.

3/10

Sleepy:

As that reads, deadly force might have been warranted, and the officers going with less-than-lethal I feel shows restraint (pending what the actual report says). As I know that the debate rages about TASER, and there are all kinds or reports about it "contributing" to the death of a suspect, or as your article says that one in Cook County where it was the "primary" cause, there is yet (so far that I have heard) to be a case where the TASER has been proven to be the exclusive cause of death.

On top of this, one must remember that in a large portion of the cases where the TASER was used, deadly force was probably warranted, but with the less-than-lethal option available, at least one life per incident was saved. There are no official stats on how many people are alive today because of the use of these devices (if there were, I am positive that it would be close to or exceeding 10,000).

Comment

consistency
                      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Timely news item.

VANCOUVER (CP) - The parents and sister of a man repeatedly shot by police with a Taser weapon are suing for his death in what their B.C. Supreme Court lawsuit claims is gross negligence.

In June 2004, Robert Bagnell, 44, was jolted with 50,000 volts of electricity while being subdued by Vancouver police officers. A report conducted later by Victoria police said Bagnell died from cardiac arrest due to cocaine-induced psychosis.

Taser International Inc, the maker of the X26 Tasers used on Bagnell, is named in the lawsuit, along with the Vancouver Police Department, police Chief Jamie Graham and five other Vancouver police officers.

The statement of claim, filed Thursday, said two police officers repeatedly shot Robert Wayne Bagnell, who was unarmed and represented no threat to anyone, with two weapons manufactured by the defendant Taser International."

The lawsuit accuses the police department of unlawful acts and gross negligence for failing to train its officer in the use of the Taser.

Bagnell's father, also named Robert, his mother Janna, and sister Patricia Gillman accuse Taser of failing to conduct independent safety testing of its products, and promoting the Taser as "non-lethal when it knew or ought to have known that they were lethal and had caused deaths."

It also accuses police of "concealing the X26 Taser weapons that were used on Robert Wayne Bagnell from persons investigating the circumstances of his death."

It also claims the police department concealed the circumstances of Bagnell's death from his family, and arranged for the cremation of his body when they should have known the family would want an independent autopsy.

A 700-page report by Victoria police looking into Bagnell's death cleared the officers in connection to the death, but recommended better training and tracking of Taser deaths.

The lawsuit asks for general and special damage awards and for an injunction stopping the defendants from selling or using the X26 Taser weapons in British Columbia.

"Although more than 190 people have died after being shot by Taser weapons, including the X26 Taser, the defendants. . .continue to promote and market the weapons as 'non-lethal' weapons," the lawsuit states.

A statement of defence had not yet been filed by the defendants.
                        I can appreciate the risk of harm to a suspect is lower with a Taser than a firearm however I worry police will be too quick to resort to the Taser over other 'non-lethal' methods.
                        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Sleepy:

As that reads, deadly force might have been warranted, and the officers going with less-than-lethal I feel shows restraint (pending what the actual report says). As I know that the debate rages about TASER, and there are all kinds or reports about it "contributing" to the death of a suspect, or as your article says that one in Cook County where it was the "primary" cause, there is yet (so far that I have heard) to be a case where the TASER has been proven to be the exclusive cause of death.

On top of this, one must remember that in a large portion of the cases where the TASER was used, deadly force was probably warranted, but with the less-than-lethal option available, at least one life per incident was saved. There are no official stats on how many people are alive today because of the use of these devices (if there were, I am positive that it would be close to or exceeding 10,000).
                          The real lesson is that if/when the cops come to bust you, check your attitude, shut the **** up, do exactly what you're told to do, and comply. You ain't gonna win at that point in the process, so just go along for the ride, figuratively and literally.
                          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Anyone that runs from the law is an idiot. Anyone that fires at the law is an absolute moron.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

The real lesson is that if/when the cops come to bust you, check your attitude, shut the **** up, do exactly what you're told to do, and comply. You ain't gonna win at that point in the process, so just go along for the ride, figuratively and literally.
                              QFT

I always like to have fun with cops... they are my peeps

I've never been arrested, BTW... but I've had numerous run-ins with THE LAW. They just take away my toys... potato guns, fireworks, and other tools of mischief/destruction.

But if it's serious stuff, don't mess around.

That's how you get a beat down.

My experience has been, most cops just want to avoid public disturbance. They want everyone to be happy. As long as nothing is going on and nobody is out of line, they will be cool and just let things be. But if you are an *******, they will be *******s.

in general... cops
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X