Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shuttle launch to go ahead despite security concerns...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shuttle launch to go ahead despite security concerns...

I hope they don't regret this...

WASHINGTON (AP) -- NASA's top safety official objected to the agency's decision to press ahead with the launch of Discovery next month without fixing a potentially catastrophic foam-shedding problem, but said he won't appeal -- and won't resign in protest -- because he does not believe the shuttle astronauts' lives are in danger.
    There has to be tremendous amounts of pressure on them to go ahead with this.
    What?

The sooner they retire that thing the better.

Comment

Chances will probably minimal that something catastrophic happens.

After all we have over 100 Shuttle starts compared to "just" 2 catastrophic accidents and all this although the foam problem was there all the time.
      So maybe the chance for another accident are < 5%.
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
        Chances will probably minimal that something catastrophic happens.

After all we have over 100 Shuttle starts compared to "just" 2 catastrophic accidents and all this although the foam problem was there all the time.
        So maybe the chance for another accident are < 5%.
        You're kidding right? Those are shocking odds.

Comment

AFAIK the probabilities for desaster for the apollo program where calculated even higher.
          But nevertheless the risks were taken and, aside from the accident on the ground which cost the lives of the three astronauts of Apollo 1 and of course aside from the near-accident of Apollo 13 they were quite successful and yielded much valuable scientific data.

So no, I don´t think these odds are shocking. Flying into space isn´t like driving a car and it´s only natural that sooner or later something bad is gonna happen if you have space shuttles routinely flying to space.

Of course I think that NASA should fix the problem with the insulating foam, after all everything that increases the safety of the astronauts is good, but I don´t think that starting one or two missions before the problem is finally fixed will pose a real great danger for the astronauts involved (chances are like rolling a D20 and getting a 1)
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

What they really need to do, beyond the short term, is to retire the shuttles and move on to other work.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

those odds are shocking for the current space program

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Indeed. The Russians would never launch a Soyuz with such terrible odds. IIRC, normal odds of catastrophic failue, for the Russian manned flights, are largely below 1%
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Spiff, do you realize how many Cosmonauts died throughout the Soviet space program, or how many failures they had?

Comment

Chances of dying on a spaceflight mission are 5% per astronaut. No clue about per mission.

Comment

Empirically speaking... funny also that despite all the mocking of Russian technology programs, more American astronaust died during spaceflight-related missions than Soviet cosmonauts. Of course there is a grey area due to worse information policy in Evil Empire, but even now after decades not many formerly unknown incidents have been revealed that involved the death of cosmonauts.... now, ground personnel, that's a different story.

Comment

Security?
                        "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                        "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

I was just going to make a thread on this (with a poll even!), but oh well.

The odds are calculated at 1 in 100 chance of dying. But even that seems optimisitc.

Would you do something where you had a 1% chance of dying? That is the question.

Comment

Yep, I would,
                            if the mission seems to be important enough (for example for science)

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
                              Spiff, do you realize how many Cosmonauts died throughout the Soviet space program, or how many failures they had?
                              I was talking about today.

Currently, most spacefarers (be they cosmonauts, astronauts or spationauts) use Soyuz to go to the ISS. There's a reason to that.
                              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
                              X