New York City!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York City!!!

I may be moving the NYC in the coming months. I've begun looking online at some housing options but it's a bit overwhelming. If all goes according the plan, I'll be working in Manhattan on the East side.

Any suggestions for someone who's fairly new to the city?
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Don't jaywalk. If somebody tries to mug you, say "What're you going to do, shoot me?" Mock the cabbie's accent.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Girls in NYC are easy.
      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

So you are going to be a creepy highschool janitor?

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Yes. So right now I'm looking for advice on living arrangements. I've been looking at Manhattan for possibly sharing, but I don't know the good and bad areas. Also, I hear Astoria in Queens is good.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Can I stay at your place next time I visit NYC? It saves me bucks.
            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

If I have a place. That's the problem.
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I have heard that

a neighborhood called Fort Apache in the Bronx is a good place.
                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                  If I have a place. That's the problem.
                  Well go find one then! It's not that hard, there are a lot of buildings there.
                  DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                    If somebody tries to mug you, say "What're you going to do, shoot me?"
                    RIP Nicole duFresne
                    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                      Yes. So right now I'm looking for advice on living arrangements. I've been looking at Manhattan for possibly sharing, but I don't know the good and bad areas. Also, I hear Astoria in Queens is good.
                      Whjere you plan to live depends on how much you are willing to pay in rent vs. how much time you are willing to commute.

Manhattan as a whole is by far the most expensive place to live, but there are neighborhoods in which you can find relatively less expensive options. Harlem and Inwood,, or Washington Heights/Hudson heights are probably the most affordable neighborhoods overall in Manhattan.

Astoria is nice, and cheap compared to Manhattan. Most of Queens is rather affordable. I would look at Sunnyside and Woodside in Queens, as well as Jackson heights. Those areas are relatively near subways lines, safe, clean, and much cheaper than Manhattan. Several neighborhoods in Brooklyn are now as expensive as Manhattan, like Williamsburg or Prospect Park. Caroll Gardens is still somewhat affordable. Some part sof the lower Bronx are much safer than before, and much cheaper than anywehre else. Of course, most affordable overall is probably Staten Island, but you would have a long commute, or need a car. There are areas far out in Queens that are also relatively cheap, but again,. you would need a car.

If you want to save, I say get a subway map of the City, then look at Brooklyn and Queens, and follow the subway lines. Look at the neighborhoods with subway access, and look for apartments in those areas. That way you will get the bext mix of affordability (if that word even makes sense in NYC) and convinience.
                      If you don't like reality, change it! me
                      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Thanks Gepap!
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Yeah, but beware of the rude people
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

New York most polite city in world survey, Asian cities least polite.

Comment

Yeah right. Everybody in the US knows New Yorkers are the rudest.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X