• Show
Clear All

• Dell Laptop 'Splodes

(From SDN)

Link

Dell laptop explodes at Japanese conference

INQ reader's amazing snaps

By INQUIRER newsdesk: Wednesday 21 June 2006, 13:22

AN INQUIRER READER attending a conference in Japan was sat just feet away from a laptop computer that suddenly exploded into flames, in what could have been a deadly accident.
    Guilhem, our astonished reader reports: "The damn thing was on fire and produced several explosions for more than five minutes".

Should you witness such an event, his advice is, "Don't try anything courageous/stupid, stay away, away, away!"

"For the record, this is a Dell machine," notes Guilhem. "It is only a matter of time until such an incident breaks out on a plane," he suggests.

Guilhem managed to catch all the action in these amazing pictures.

"Fire extinguishers leave a mess on your suit and belongings; pack your stuff (if you can) and leave, leave, leave!" he advises.

We don't have any further details of the model of the computer in question. In light of the evidence, however, we'd suggest you avoid actually using a laptop on your lap. Ouch.

Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

and i thought my dell laptop was giving me problems!

Comment

It's actually a misreporting of a new FeatureTM released by Dell.

It's the "End User Protection Scheme", in which a computer destroys itself to save the end user and the world.

If, for instance, the end user is an idiot, the computer self-terminates.

See here:
      http://theinquirer.net/?article=32519
      B♭3

Comment

I'm sure it was really the battery that exploded. The rest of the laptop is pretty much inert.
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Its clearly Al Qaeda
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

holy crap... i'm now afraid of my laptop.
            bleh

Comment

Mobile Battery Problems Explode

Experts ponder alternatives to batteries that have caused fire in notebooks, cell phones.

bleh

Comment

Wiki authors" are fast to update their pages:

Under Lithium ion battery:

I've already find this:
                Warning

Lithium-ion batteries can easily rupture, ignite, or explode when exposed to high temperatures or direct sunlight. Never store them inside of a car during hot weather. Short-circuiting a Li-ion battery can also cause it to ignite or explode. Never open a Li-ion battery's casing. Li-ion batteries contain safety devices that, if damaged, can cause the battery to ignite or explode. See example: Dell laptop explodes at Japanese conference
                bleh

Comment

So is this something people with Dells actually need to worry about, or does this only affect stupid people?
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                    So is this something people with Dells actually need to worry about, or does this only affect stupid people?
                    Like people who buy Dells?
                    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Ouch. I did it for the money!
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I hear they're coming up with nuclear batteries in the near future...
                        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

When I graduated from middle school, my parents got me a Dell laptop as a gift.

After 3 years, I can safely say that Dell laptops are pretty crappy. But it hasn't exploded... yet.

Comment

It seems the CIA's "special" laptop for Castro gott mismailed to Japan.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                            X