X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flubber
    There is not a large pro-Portugal group here
    Have you considered that there might be a good reason for that?
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

About Kuyt?

I need to know!!

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever
        Does that mean I lose?
        Probably .
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

No sorry but I can't see England winning the World Cup as the situation is now, they're simply not good enough even with Rooney coming back. Ashley Cole, Joe Cole, Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard and a Wayne Rooney on form. Those are the players that could possibly be part a cup winning team, the rest are not up to it and nobody wins this tournament without a complete eleven plus some class acts on the bench.

The ones with the capability for it are Italy, Brazil, Argentina, France were it not for the fact that they have to many old players, Portugal, Spain and possibly Germany because of the home advantage. I rank them at about the same level as England but with an added home advantage.
          It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

They were a World Cup contender BEFORE the tourney. So I don't think any 'orgasmic gushing' is unwarrented.
            A contender BEFORE the tourney, so what? Mexico were ranked 4 and the USA 5 so what does that tell you. Rankings and speculation based on play before the WC isnt worth the paper it's written on. Sometimes even the group play isnt an indicator of how well a team will do.

Anyone who watched SMT's defensive play during the WC and who has the smallest spark of knowledge about what they were supposed to be doing (as opposed to what they did) would say that their back 4 lacked discipline and were totally uncoordinated. Given that situation, anyone would beat them and everyone in the group did. Gushing over a big score against a team that is defending so poorly is rubbish. Talk about B sides all you want, they didnt score against Holland's disciplined defense.
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus

Have you considered that there might be a good reason for that?
              I'll take Portugal to beat Holland.
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH

I'll take Portugal to beat Holland.
                Are you a betting man?

Comment

Kuijt is a fantastic player, both very talented and a very, very, very hard worker (a rare combination). He's very creative, he can finish (was topscorer in the Eredivisie last season with 29 goals, this season he came second after Huntelaar with 22 goals -- and all that in spite of sharing his striker position at Feyenoord with another major goal getter, Kalou), he can pass, he can cross, he can dribble, he can even do his defensive duties if needed. He can play both on the right wing, in the centre of the attack and on the number 10 position. You do need to give him some freedom though, he's not at his best in a tight formation with strict orders and no space for creative actions.

He's not really playing at the top of his game this WC but keep an eye on him, he'll surely get more playing time (especially considering Van Nistelrooij's poor performance). If he really is going to England (which seems likely although I haven't heard anything about it yet) he'll instantly be the best Dutch player in the Premier League and has the potential to become for Liverpool what Van Nistelrooij was for Manchester (at least until last season).

Comment

Christ Locutus!! That good?

Comment

• Kuijt (and Kalou) made a die-hard Twente supporter (a team which has Feyenoord as one of its two arch nemises) into a (temporary) Feyenoord fan, that's all you need to know

I'm surprised you hadn't heard of him yet. He really is a great player, and on top of that there've been rumours of him going to England for the last 2-3 seasons.

Of course, having potential and actually living up to it are two different things. He'll have to prove himself all over again in England, but I expect he will.

Comment

• Originally posted by reds4ever

Are you a betting man?
                        Only the stock market.

Heres my thinking

Holland and Portugal are both soccer playing nations with excellent players and good teams. Both sides are also perennial underachievers. So far Holland have looked good but I dont see any spark. Portugal are historically even worse underachievers but I see them playing with panache here. True they were not in a strong group but even so I give them the edge by virtue of what I've seen so far.

Portugal 3 - Holland 2

Comment

• Originally posted by Locutus

I'm surprised you hadn't heard of him yet. He really is a great player, and on top of that there've been rumours of him going to England for the last 2-3 seasons.
                          I'd heard of him but the Dutch league is on at 2am over here, I'm either drunk or asleep by then. Either way it's hard to form an opinion.

The worry most Liverpool fans have is that 2 years ago we paid £14M for the leading scorer in the French league....I hope Kuyt can take the step up. Still, £10M for a big, young striker doesn't seem too bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by SpencerH

Only the stock market.
                            Coward! £10 Paypal bet says Holland win!

Comment

• Originally posted by reds4ever

Coward! £10 Paypal bet says Holland win!
                              Cant do it. I've boycotted Paypal for years.

Comment

• Originally posted by SpencerH

Cant do it. I've boycotted Paypal for years.
                                Sig bet then eh?

"I know nothing about football (insert name) was right about the Holland-Portugal game"

Until the end of the World Cup?

Comment

Working...
                                X