Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all authors... anyone have any good guides to writing dialouge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nostromo
    Card and King can hardly be called masters.
    ...and how many Hugo and Nebula Awards has Card won??

Comment

...and how many Hugo and Nebula Awards has Card won??
      You would say he's a master?

Btw, I've read some writers who don't even use quotation marks, they use only the em dash. Based on my experience, however, its not common in english. An exemple:

Buck Mulligan peeped an instant under the mirror and then covered the bowl smartly.

-- Back to the barracks! he said sternly.

He added in a preacher's tone:

-- For this, O dearly beloved, is the genuine christine: body and soul and blood and ouns. Slow music, please. Shut your eyes, gents. One moment. [...].
      Last edited by Nostromo; June 21, 2006, 20:40.
      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo

You would say he's a master?

Btw, I've read some writers who don't even use quotation marks, they use only the em dash. Based on my experience, however, its not common in english. An exemple:
          I only seen that used in two situations...

First was when a author was trying to write in an very experimental fashion.

The other was an author who used it to designate the speakers were using a language other than English:

--This man is not a purchasing agent from Universal Exports. He's secret agent James Bond.
          --We must kill him then.
          "I hope you two are discussing getting me a vodka martini, shaken not stirred. ...Uh oh. No martini??"

Comment

YOU WILL NOT SLANDER THE NAME OF THE GREAT CARD! ><

CAAAAAAAAAAAARD!

Comment

Card's good, but his biases show very clearly through his work, and that can get annoying.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Fiction != Reporting. It's okay to have a bit more subjectiveness, methinks.
                B♭3

Comment

I don't disagree. I just think he gets annoying is all.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                  X