The Future of North Korea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaShi
    Like it did in Iraq. Sorry for the smarmy response, but I felt it was necessary.
    In Iraq they made the mistake of changing the system after the fall of Saddam.

Perhaps you could do better without this.
    Replacing Kim Jong Ils person centered rule with a party centered rule just like in China, some kind of police state and not exactly a democracy, but much more predictable and perhaps centered more on economy and less on military.
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Then you'd need a party willing to do that. When the CCP came to power there was great disaster. And many of those repressive urges still remain. The CCP has done well in spite of itself.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
        They will be the next Asian Tiger, I think, if Kim can overcome internal resistance and start econmic reforms based on the PRC model.

That seals it, UR is true comedic gold.
        B♭3

Comment

Also, would Korea (I admit I don't follow the matter closely) immediately unite if the North went democratic?
          Doubtful. SKorea doesn't want to absorb the North after they saw what happened in Germany.

Which city would be the capital?
          Most likely Seoul for historical, economic, cultural, technological, industrial, and population reasons. However, SKorea is still proceeding with plans to move some of its administrative infrastructure an hour or so south to a smaller city to relieve the real estate pressures and provide extra safety.

Who would be the boss, south or north? Who would pay the bills? I think I remember reading that the southerners aren't much thrilled at the prospect.
          In both cases, the South. Historically, the stronger Korean kingdoms have been in the southern end; that it should be the case here is no surprise. NKorea has no resources to pay bills anyway, so...
          B♭3

Comment

Re: Re: The Future of North Korea

Originally posted by Vince278
            I generally see them merging similar to how Germany did it. Both sides already want to unite (if only on their own terms). However, it will take a long time to dig up all those mines in the DMZ.
            Actually, the SKoreans are very schizoid about that. They both want a unification, but are also quite leery of the costs. Really, it's more of a, "It'd be nice if..." but with very little will to make that an actuality.

It'll end up an Asian Mexico only with nuclear weapons.
            Without the nuclear weapons, I thought the Asian Mexico was the Philippines...
            B♭3

Comment

But they also have roads to block (compare to, say, Africa)
              When I look at those pictures, I'm reminded of the Stephen King book "The Stand."

Some of the infrastructure looks OK, but I'm guessing that with much use at all, the infrastructure would be pulverized (i.e., everything is a Potemkin Village). On the other hand, the subway looks pretty useful.

I don't have any experience living in a communist country, so I would be interested in hearing what others with such experience observe when they look at those pictures. Of course, North Korean communism is somewhat a breed of its own.
              Last edited by DanS; June 21, 2006, 11:36.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Where is the vassal state of China, or even annexed by china option?
                I need a foot massage

Comment

I can't imagine the trauma people would experience being thrown into South Korean society after being frozen in time for the past 55 years.
                  If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Wish I could go 55 years into the future that easily.
                    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                    2004 Presidential Candidate
                    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                      I'd not argue about the 'can'. I'd argue about the 'wants to' ... I at least have yet to have heard anything to make me believe that Kim wants to make his country into a remotely 'reformed' country and not just keep it a tight dictatorship...
                      Kim did attempted economic reform similar to the PRC once. He picked an area near Manchuria and wanted to make it into a "special economic zone," something like Shenzen had been in the 1990s. Unfortunately, the head he picked, a Chinese businessman, turned out to be a crook and got nabbed by Chinese authorities.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Sometimes I get the feeling that if the world ran out of cheap fossil fuels, the way of life in industrialized countries would grow to resemble that of North Korea.
                        Visit First Cultural Industries
                        There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                        Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
                          Sometimes I get the feeling that if the world ran out of cheap fossil fuels, the way of life in industrialized countries would grow to resemble that of North Korea.
                          Not really, but some would do better than others. Many high tech nations will adapt. Many like North Korea wouldn't see much of a change. But yes, the majority would be thrown into chaos.
                          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                          2004 Presidential Candidate
                          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

The koreans I know seem to favor the North and South being one nation (probably under the South rule).
                            \
                            JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Kim did attempted economic reform similar to the PRC once. He picked an area near Manchuria and wanted to make it into a "special economic zone," something like Shenzen had been in the 1990s. Unfortunately, the head he picked, a Chinese businessman, turned out to be a crook and got nabbed by Chinese authorities.
                              But that wasn't the reason why it failed. For one Yang Bin was only accused of being a crook by the Chinese government. This was taken as a sign that the Chinese didn't support the Sinuiju experiement, which was established without Chinese foreknowledge. The Chinese were quite open that they disapproved of it and the arrest of Yang Bin only seemed to further confirm this. Apparently, NK is only allowed to develop so long as it doesn't compete with or potentially negatively affect Chinese interests.

Sinuiju failed because they couldn't get the foreign investors, including Chinese and S. Korean, that Shenzhen so easily did. Seems they were reluctant to deal with NK after past bad experiences.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Where's the "North Korea is turned to glass by Americain nuclear weapons" option?
                                I'm not buying BtS until Firaxis impliments the "contiguous cultural border negates colony tax" concept.

Comment

Working...
                                X