Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBQ 101: Summer Is Neigh!

How to BBQ Bratwurst:

Step 1) Soak your Brats; whatever you want. This sort of like a marinade, more like a brine. I use beer and season salt. You can use soda and salt, just make sure to add the salt after the soda so you don't over flow. Let soak for 2-3 hours at room temp (meat should always be cooked/grilled at room temp).

Step 2) Prepare your grill. Heat your grill using indirect heat. Coals on only one side of the grill or only one side of your grill turned on.

Step 3) Seal your Brats; The casing of a brat is, or should act like, pig intestine. This means that it will shrink when heated. Do this fast, so that more moisture is held in. Throw your brined brats (reserve brine) onto direct heat (over the fire) arranged close togther, preferably in the same manner that they are packaged in. Give 5 minutes at both sides, with the lid down, even if the grill is smoking.

Step 4) Cook your Brats; Remove to indirect heat (not over the grill). Indirect heat will cook your meat. This would be similar to cooking your oven. It will cook the meat through but not char. Cook for 10 minutes, flip, the 5-7 minutes.

Step 5) Char your Brats; season your Brats with your rub on all sides. If you haven't yet, baste your brats with the reserved brine. Do this by dipping the brat in the brine using tongs. Return to direct heat and dust with your rub of choice. Cook, turning occassionally (lid can be open), until done. My doneness is told by the brat. I like them lightly chared but more important I like them hot in the middle. This you can tell by listening to them. A Brat will whistle when done; this is the fat boiling out of the meat. Careful not to take off early, Brats have a lot of grease; control flare ups by moving the brats around as you turn them. Do not think that a lot of fire and smoke means they are done.

Step 6) Let them rest; let sit for 10 minutes before cutting or you might burn yourself with the grease.

Step 7) Serve. My wives family use to laugh at me for using mustard... they all eat it with mustard now.
    Monkey!!!

Re: BBQ 101: Summer Is Neigh!

Originally posted by Japher

Step 7) Serve. My wives family use to laugh at me for using mustard... they all eat it with mustard now.
    Are you suggesting that there are other ways ????
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

they ate it plain!
      Monkey!!!

Comment

I eat mine plain, but then I'm a godless commie.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

they ate it plain!
          Not even ketchup ?
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

@ thread title

Comment

Bratwurst = hotdogs?

Comment

^Bratwurst
                Monkey!!!

Comment

This last weekend

I cooked the following on my new Captain Cook Gas Barbecue:

1) Steaks - olive oil, salt, pepper, marjoram, rosemary marinade
                  2) Zucchini
                  3) Korean Cross Ribs
                  4) Hamburgers
                  5) Roast Chicken (indirect heat)
                  6) Eggplant
                  7) Corn
                  “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

IMO hamburgers are the best thing to BBQ. Steaks are good too though.

Comment

I've been grilling up alot of chicken over the last few days. Thinking of having some friends over for a steak feed this coming weekend. Gotta love the BBQ weather.
                      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                        Gotta love the BBQ weather.
                        Not in Fresno, but then it's better then heating up the house.

Comment

I'm doing baby back ribs this weekend
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

Not in Fresno, but then it's better then heating up the house
                            I bbq'd all the time in Frenso.

That new(er) place over by the Savemart Center is really good for tri tip sandwhiches, if you don't want to cook yourself.
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

I bbq'd all the time in Frenso.

That new(er) place over by the Savemart Center is really good for tri tip sandwhiches, if you don't want to cook yourself.
                              Dog House Grill

Of course, I ate there all the time when I was going to FSU. I still eat there.

Comment

Working...
                              X