sports ownership needs greater accountability to fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sports ownership needs greater accountability to fans

Philadelphia has gone 88 consecutive sports seasons without a championship. In Philly, and around the country, we need some way to give the lame ownerships some incentive to either get out of town or make some better personnel decisions. This should be done by the organizations which govern each sport. Failing that, at the municpal level there needs to be a "Civic Pride" tax. From now on, any team that fails to win a championship, gets hit with this tax at the end of their season. They will continue to pay that tax until one of the major sports teams in town win a championship. Once one of the teams wins a championship, the tax burden gets removed from all teams..

In support of this motion, I submit David Glass, owner of the Kansas City Royals.

Enough said.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Al Davis can kiss my arse!

I hate the guy and I'm not even a Raiders fan.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

What a dumb ass idea. Hey, its your fault that you get caught up in a private owner's team. Don't whine when he can't deliever what you think he should.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

A tax on losing teams? You realise any city that enacts this would probably LOSE the teams that it targets? Or make itself baren to any newcommers.
          Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Stop going to the games. Seems simple enough.
            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              What a dumb ass idea. Hey, its your fault that you get caught up in a private owner's team. Don't whine when he can't deliever what you think he should.
              You are welcome to express an opposing opinion, but there is no need to attack me personally. Go **** yourself.

Comment

If you think that was a personal attack, then you haven't ever witnessed a personal attack, have you?
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

didn't sound like a personal attack to me...

man, being a philly phan you'd think you'd know the difference
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
                    A tax on losing teams? You realise any city that enacts this would probably LOSE the teams that it targets? Or make itself baren to any newcommers.
                    Thats why the best solution would be some sort of controls or standards for acting in the fan's best interest applied to all teams from the organization which governs the sport and a yearly audit to make sure of all teams compliance.

With regard to the tax, if there is money to be made in a given market, there will always be suitors.. It would only be fair for a city to give a 5-to-10-year civic pride tax forbearance to brand new teams to give them a chance in their new surroundings..

Comment

I prefer positive reinforcement

nm, I still think taxing a bad team isn't helping them become better
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                        Stop going to the games. Seems simple enough.
                        I haven't been to a Dodger game since they stuck me with #@*&! seats for the Houston playoff series, what 10 or 12 years ago.

I haven't been to an L.A. Rams game in...I mean an L.A. Raiders game in--d'oh!

Comment

Every individual that buys a ticket, purchases team memorabilia is casting a vote. That vote says all is well.

Boycott. Personally, I don't see how Bill Bidwell gets any fan involvement at all. The city is represented by the team.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

That really is the answer. Don't go to the games, don't buy the merchandise...

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                            X