The pain of owning a laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The pain of owning a laptop

Could it be that they call them "notebooks" because of the heat? I've got one on my lap at the moment writing and I suddenly noticed how hot it's getting. Needless to say I'm not too keen on boiling my eggs; how would you cool your laptop sufficiently to comfortably use it on your lap?
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Put a newspaper between the two....

Comment

Put something on the back of your laptop in order of elevating the backside (where the cooling system is located), it'll do miracles
      I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Laptops are no longer supposed to be used on the lap or any soft surface, really, unless you take care not to obstruct the ventilation. Mine has a tendency to overheat when using it on my lap and playing graphics-intensive games.

Comment

yeah, notebooks aren't for use on your lap

you need a true laptop, which are generally light and portable notebooks

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

use a bag of ice cubes (no really dont)
            Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

My laptop could fry an egg after one hour of Civ4, so it's better to do what I suggested you to do AND switch if off after a while, I also leave it upside-down when it's not working so the heat goes out quicker
              I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

I like the thin and lights.. they don't get hot.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Trouble with thin and lights is the price...

My laptop is Core Duo T2300 (1.66Ghz) w/ 1Gb DDR2, ATI Mobility Radeon X1300 with an 80Gb HDD @ 5400rpm. It's not exactly the fastest machine but was an absolute steal at £750 at the end of April.

I could halve that specification and double the price for a true "laptop" but that's not an option... so there has to be some way to have my cake and eat it. I've tried underclocking and I can get the clock down to 1 Ghz but then I lose that extra 666Mhz when I'm at my desk.
                  "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                  "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

My laptop only gets hot when I'm playing games, and that's awkward to do on the lap anyway.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Buy a tray. You'll have the best of both worlds.
                      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

I keep mine on my lap specifically because I don't want to have children.
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                        X