Slaughterhouse accidents in the US- and unions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Park Avenue

I repeat, "they are willing to accept the conditions for the wage they are receiving". They aren't being co-erced into it.
    No, alternatives of living in the street and going hungry aren't coercive at all.
    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by pchang

Please explain how employers are not paying taxes. Employers pay payroll taxes on the number of employees and deduct their withholding as well. Most illegals do not file tax returns and thus, do not get any refunds. In addition, they do not collect social security and medicare for the most part.
      I would assume a lot of habitual employers of large numbers of illegals either (a) maintain dual payroll accounts, deduct withholding from the illegals and never forward those taxes while keeping legit employees on the "real" books; or (b) keep their illegals as purported independent contractors and never pay trustee or UI taxes.

The problem isn't so much the quarterly 941 tax returns with IRS, but state unemployment forms such as California's DE-3 (every other state I've dealt with does the same thing) in which you have to identify each employee by name, SSN, and wages earned in the quarter.

If you're an employer who is merely lax about records and may (or may not - you don't really pay attention) have the occasional random illegal on your payroll, you wouldn't alter your normal payroll practices. If your staffing practices are based on hiring a lot of illegals, you have to cover your tracks somehow - the quarterly UI reports such as the DE-3 easily raise red flags with duplicate names, name and SSN mismatches, inconsistent addresses, etc.
      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

No, alternatives of living in the street and going hungry aren't coercive at all.
        the employer isn't the cause of that coersion.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

I would assume a lot of habitual employers of large numbers of illegals either (a) maintain dual payroll accounts, deduct withholding from the illegals and never forward those taxes while keeping legit employees on the "real" books; or (b) keep their illegals as purported independent contractors and never pay trustee or UI taxes.

The problem isn't so much the quarterly 941 tax returns with IRS, but state unemployment forms such as California's DE-3 (every other state I've dealt with does the same thing) in which you have to identify each employee by name, SSN, and wages earned in the quarter.

If you're an employer who is merely lax about records and may (or may not - you don't really pay attention) have the occasional random illegal on your payroll, you wouldn't alter your normal payroll practices. If your staffing practices are based on hiring a lot of illegals, you have to cover your tracks somehow - the quarterly UI reports such as the DE-3 easily raise red flags with duplicate names, name and SSN mismatches, inconsistent addresses, etc.
          This would constitute fraud on a massive scale and should be punishable under those laws (and tax evasion) which carry much more serious penalties than those for hiring illegal workers.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

It is fraud, and employers frequently do it. And its the employees who get stuck with paying back the additional SSN and medicare if the company is unable to pay.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I see the Oerdin Project has worked wonders.

Comment

Working...
              X