No announcement yet.

Stand it like a man, and give some back: the "Deadwood" appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And to know I missed it because it isbroadcast over here by one of the stations I didn't even bother to program on my tv. C**ksuckers...
    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
    And notifying the next of kin
    Once again...

Comment

****ing right, Heuij.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

i was appalled at the sheer number of f-bombs dropped in the first episode. it seemed a trifle uncharicteristic of the era in my mind. i was contented to see that it calmed down a little in later episodes.

that being said, and speaking of HBO cancelling series that aren't 'the sopranos,' anyone here a fan of
        Carnivale?
        I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
        [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Originally posted by self biased
          \it seemed a trifle uncharicteristic of the era in my mind.
          Just FYI:

From its debut Deadwood has drawn attention for its extremely explicit, modern profanity, especially among the more coarse characters. It is a deliberate anachronism by the creator with a twofold intent. As Milch has explained in several interviews and on the DVD commentary tracks, originally the characters were to use period slang and swear words. Such words, however, were based heavily on the era's deep religious roots and tended to be more blasphemous than scatological. Instead of being shockingly crude (in keeping with the tone of a frontier mining camp), the results sounded downright comical (Milch says it "..made everyone sound like Yosemite Sam.")

Instead, it was decided the show would use current profanity so the words would impact modern audiences as the blasphemous ones did back in the 1870's. ... The other intent of the frequency of the swearing was to signal the audience of the camp's lawlessness in much the same way that the original inhabitants used it to show they were very aware they were living outside "civil society".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadwood_TV_series
          Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871

Just FYI:
            That could be the case, but it's more probable they were afraid they would be banned if they used blasphemous profanities.
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Why would anyone reference wikipedia ?
              Last edited by SlowwHand; July 3, 2006, 18:42.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

A) I wouldn't in any serious debate or academic work; this is just an interesting tidbit about a damn TV show.
                B) Wikipedia is generally reliable when the original source is referenced, as it is in this case (DVD commentary).
                Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij
                  Guynemer, you c**ksucker! First you ****ing make me revive an old ****ing thread and second, because this ****ing thread made me ****ing dow... ehh, got hold off the ****ing first two seasons and then, instead of going out and find me some ****ing p***y, make me ****ing spend this whole ****ing weekend watching it. You ass****ing ****

Thanks you c**ksucker
                  Yea, thanks to this thread my girlfriend and I have been watching the DVDs. We are halfway through season 2. One night we watched 7! episodes. Good stuff.
                  He's got the Midas touch.
                  But he touched it too much!
                  Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Well, let me the first to offer ****ing congratulations to you hooples for catching up with the rest of us happy c*nts.
                    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                    X