Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did the Soviets fail in Afghanistan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did the Soviets fail in Afghanistan?

They had plenty of troops and had no qualms about fighting with the tools of their enemies, murder, torture and terror.

So, what went wrong?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

One word (or name): Rambo

Comment

Because the United States, under President Reagan's unfailing leadership, gave the Mujahideen superpowers and that's why we're #1 in the world in everything and we're winning in Iraq! [/Ned]
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Support given by the USA (especially the Stingers)

Partisan tactics with strong support from the population
        Partisan leaders which were trained in modern guerilla tactics thanks to the support of the CIA (Osama bin Laden being one of them)

Lots of terrain good suited for guerilla tactics with the mujahedeen having full knowledge of the terrain (whereas the sovjets had only limited knowledge about it)
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

The Red Army wasn't really built for anti-insurgency warfare (IIRC they never really did much of it before) and sucked pretty badly at it...
          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Stingers.

Comment

The Red Army wasn't really built for anti-insurgency warfare (IIRC they never really did much of it before) and sucked pretty badly at it...

QFT.

Bad tactics, bad strategy, bad choice of troops and machinery. For example, the Red Army's light infantry units and special forces performed excellently - but they weren't a significant part of the mix. Too bad that they approached the issue as if they attacked a regular army, and even then - who sends armoured coloumns through unsecured canyons?!
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

I heard on the radio last week a reporter mentioning an interview he had with a young man in Afghanistan who said that his father's father fought the british, his father fought the soviets, and that it is now his turn to fight the americans.
                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Because of the willingness of the "weaker" side to accept heavy losses without accepting defeat.
                  Blah

Comment

Soviet society was rotting away at the time. Probably didn't help.

Comment

The US found many willing allies in Afghanistan because the Taliban wasn't a very popular government. The SU and its puppet government had very little popular support.
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

They insufficiently let the locals do the fighting for them.
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Beast of war.

Good movie.
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

US support. The Afghans were being pwned before the CIA arrived on the scene.
                            STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

Re: Why did the Soviets fail in Afghanistan?

Originally posted by Lancer
                              They had plenty of troops and had no qualms about fighting with the tools of their enemies, murder, torture and terror.

So, what went wrong?
                              The soviets suffered no other fate then many armies before them.
                              NATO will not be able to pacify the country either.

From what I gather in the news is that the afghani's a notoriously tribesmen, and their allegeance will be to their tribe (which probably boils down to their own valley or somesuch).
                              Offcourse communism (well, Soviet style at least) is notoriously centralised which didn't help the Soviet case. The western democratic style will probably mean less western soldiers will die, but they won't control the country either.
                              "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                              "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Working...
                              X