Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let the good times roll: 97 000 new jobs created in May

...in Canada, that is. With a labour force 1/9 the size of the US

Dan, what month was it that the US put up 900 000 new jobs in recent memory? Oh, wait...

Unemployment rate falls to 31-year low
    Last Updated Fri, 09 Jun 2006 07:53:52 EDT
    CBC News

Canada's jobless rate fell 0.3 percentage points to 6.1 per cent in May — its lowest level since December 1974 — as the economy churned out a stunning 96,700 new jobs last month.

The big gain in job growth handily surpassed economists' expectations. Market watches had been predicting employment to grow by just 20,000 last month.

"It goes to show that a lot of us were underestimating the strength of the Canadian economy," Scotiabank deputy chief economist Aron Gampel told CBC News.

All full-time positions

All of May's employment increase was in full-time positions, as about 151,000 new full-time jobs were created. That monthly increase was the largest on record.

Statistics Canada said the jump was due to new entrants to the labour market obtaining full-time employment. The month saw a decrease of about 54,000 part-time positions.

Through the first five months of this year, employment across the country is up by about 220,000 jobs, an increase of 1.4 per cent, Statistics Canada said Friday.

Job growth continued to surge ahead in Alberta, but Statistics Canada also reported large increases in Ontario and Quebec in May.

"Strength in the service industries in Ontario and Quebec more than offset continued declines in manufacturing," the federal government agency said.

Weakness in factory employment continued as the high Canadian dollar made it more difficult for some export-oriented manufacturers to compete. Almost 22,000 factory jobs disappeared in May, bringing the total number of lost manufacturing positions to 187,000 since the end of 2002.

The largest employment gains came in finance, insurance, real estate and leasing, health care and social assistance, and public administration.

Canadian dollar jumps

The Bank of Canada had signalled last month that it was taking a pause in its campaign of interest rate hikes. But many analysts said this jobs report is so strong, it puts real pressure on the central bank to rethink that strategy.

"With U.S. growth clearly losing momentum and equity markets stumbling, the Bank [of Canada] is likely to stay on hold at the [bank's next interest rate policy] meeting in July," said BMO Nesbitt Burns senior economist Doug Porter.

But, he added, the "drum-tight labour market" means an interest rate increase after Labour Day "is now a distinct possibility."

The prospect of further rate hikes gave a big boost to the Canadian dollar. The loonie gained 1.3 cents US to 90.42 cents US by 10 a.m. EDT.

Here are the provincial jobless rates in May (with April's rate in brackets):

* Nfld. & Labrador: 14.8 per cent (15.9)
    * P.E.I.: 10.1 per cent (10.5)
    * Nova Scotia: 8.0 per cent (8.1)
    * New Brunswick: 8.6 per cent (9.1)
    * Quebec: 7.9 per cent (8.3)
    * Ontario: 5.9 per cent (6.2)
    * Manitoba: 4.2 per cent (4.7)
    * Saskatchewan: 4.9 per cent (4.8)
    * Alberta: 3.4 per cent (3.5)
    * British Columbia: 4.7 per cent (4.7)
    * Canada: 6.1 per cent (6.4)
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

This is great news. Fortunately, in the US we have less unemployment, so we will not likely have extremely large job growth months like this.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

well, you count the number of people that are unemployed in a different way too ...
      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

You have relatively lower unemployment (you have to add ~0.5% to US numbers in order to compare them to our numbers) and a lower participation rate, giving us an employment rate ~1-2% higher than yours.

So the US actually has more unutilised labour as a percentage of adult poppulation than we do. What's up, dude?
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

you have to add ~0.5% to US numbers in order to compare them to our numbers
          Why so? The US follows the ILO standards. They should be comparable.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

Why so? The US follows the ILO standards. They should be comparable.
              They are not, son.

When calculated according to the Canadian method our unemployment rate in 2005 was 6.8%. When calculated according to the American method it was 6.0%

With demand for labour strong and supply conditions tightening, the unemployment rate fell in 2005, hitting 6.8%, the lowest annual unemployment rate since 1976.

Canada's unemployment rate, adjusted to the US definition of unemployment, has dropped in the last 12 years, from a high of 10.8% in 1993 to an all-time low of 6.0% last year.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

FYI, this isn't "the American method", it's the ILO method.

Comment

The ILO method is not equivalently implemented across all countries, Dan. 2 groups can implement ILO standard in different ways and end up with different measurements given the same situation.

Adjusted to U.S. concepts, the Canadian unemployment rate is reduced by 1 percentage point; effects of adjustments on European unemployment rates are smaller

The main difference, in terms of impact, is the treatment of so-called passive jobseekers— persons who conduct their search for work merely by reading newspaper ads. Such individuals are included in the unemployed in Canada, but are excluded therefrom in the United States

According to the latest ILO guidelines, the unemployed are persons over a certain specified age who are without work, available for work, and actively seeking work. Virtually all countries agree that an unemployed person should be without any work at all; that is, employment takes precedence over unemployment. They also agree that unemployed persons should be available for work and actively seeking work. However, countries have chosen to implement these latter two criteria differently, which causes certain incompatibilities in the measurement of unemployment internationally. Further, in a number of other areas, the ILO definition has been either interpreted
                  differently or not followed at all, particularly in regard to the treatment of students, persons on layoff, persons waiting to start a new job, and unpaid family workers. Lower age limits and the treatment of the Armed Forces also differ.

The varying interpretations of unemployment and the labor force (the sum of the employed and the unemployed) derive from different national circumstances and needs. Countries generally have very good reasons for their own interpretations of, or deviations from, the ILO definitions. But these differences, of course, create problems for international comparisons. The ILO recommends that those countries which choose to deviate from the guidelines collect data that permit one to convert from the
                  national to the international standards. Some countries do this; others do not.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

So for your information, it is the "American method"
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

God, I love being right.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Thank you KH

You know DanS, the meridian of Greenwich doesn't run through Washington DC neither...

Comment

You're funny. I can't bring myself to feel a rivalry with Canada. These are indeed good times for Canada. Of course, you're not likely to have many repeat performances, considering the tightness in your labor market.

You might make sure your employment numbers are comparable to the numbers that I quote, though. According to the BLS, the household survey indicates 288k net new jobs were created in May (that's what the unemployment rate is based on). But I always quote the payroll survey, which is considered more reliable, even though it has its own limitations with regard to very small businesses. What kind of survey are your jobs numbers based on?

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                            You're funny. I can't bring myself to feel a rivalry with Canada.
                            This isn't national rivalry. It was aimed at you in particular for attempting to paint an overly rosy picture of the US economy based on marginal job growth following large job losses in recent memory. Canada didn't suffer the job loss that the US did in 2001/2002. The mild recession you guys suffered didn't hit us at all. That's fine, and there are good reasons for that. But the US recovery has been slow in coming, has registered some fairly weak numbers and hasn't even managed to compare to what is simply normal growth in Canada.

So your triumphalist threads have always struck me as more than a bit off. Crowing about a creation of 200 000 jobs in a market the size of the US is ridiculous.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

In Belgium we have a centralized service for that. But the ones that are politically reponsible like to do tricks to the numbers so that their policies seem to do better...

Comment

Working...
                              X