Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't remember the last time I was this angry...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disgusting? Horrible?

There is a lot of hyberbole in this thread.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Would anyone rather have these companies spend their money on other things? No one complains about university or hospital buildings named after congressmen who obtain pork barrel funding or wealthy individuals assuaging their guilt over how they obtained their money.
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I fail to see why corporate philanthropy should not be considered a good thing. Especially in light of the all to often repeated mantra that corporations only are concerned about profits.

Now on the other hand if you feel squeamish about the corporations image and how that reflects on the instituion thats one thing, but corporate sponsorship in of itself is not a bad thing.

This reminds me of the article I read the other day inthe Wall St. Journal that concerned my old stomping grounds. It was about Joe Capano Jr. (brother and accomplice {who turned states evidence} of Tom Capano who murdered of Ann Marie Fahey) donating $2 million to his local catholic schools. Seems the church had to go through some ethical wrangling before they would agree to put Cappanos name on the new buildings. Seems one of the schools told him flat out NO at which point he said fine all $2 million would go to the other school. The first school promptly rethought their position. As an amusing aside, it was a highlight that this donation prevented Joe Biden from having his name on the buildings.
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Re: Re: I can't remember the last time I was this angry...

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

"Get this man a polo shirt and a lacrosse stick...STAT!"
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
            Disgusting? Horrible?

There is a lot of hyberbole in this thread.

-Arrian
            Bah. Why only take words from my post? Just because it immediately preceded yours? Well, yeah, I probably did lay the negativity on a little thick there. Monkeys.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Yes, because it was the latest example, not because it was the only example.

I agree, MONKEYS!

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Huamna hospitals are all over the country. They also provide insurance.

It already happens, Guy.

If a person can donate $50 million and get his name on a building, why can't an insurance company?

ACK!
                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Full disclosure: I work for a major insurance company AFAIK, we don't do health ins., so you've nothing to fear.

-Arrian

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                    No one complains about university or hospital buildings named after congressmen who obtain pork barrel funding or wealthy individuals assuaging their guilt over how they obtained their money.
                    I do.
                    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Just go up there one night and tear 'Nationwide' off the sign.
                      Long time member @ Apolyton
                      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
                        If a person can donate $50 million and get his name on a building, why can't an insurance company?

ACK!
                        I fully concur with Tuberski. If the hospital - and most importantly, the patients, benifit from the large monetary donation ... who really cares what "name" is listed on the side of the damned building?

This is just the nature of capitalism.
                        "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                        "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

Columbus Children's sold themselves too cheaply. There's a big difference between naming a building and naming, or rather, re-branding, the whole institution. Heck, I bet $50M couldn't even cover the design and construction costs, much less the big-buck equipment that makes it a hospital.

Some guy's widow donated $10M to the College of Engineering at Virginia Tech and wanted the it all named after her hubby. The Dean of Engr calmly said that the donation was only enough to get one department named (she chose the Dept of Civil Engr).

The dean publicized the list of what you get named for a donation. I think the whole College of Engr would go for a cool $100M. That was eight or ten years ago. If that list has risen as fast as tuition it would be $200M by now.
                          (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                          (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                          (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Working...
                          X