No announcement yet.

"They stabbed it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "They stabbed it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast"

What's your vision of hell?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Apolyton in the flesh.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

MarkG naked?

mmm body hair
      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
      "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

being forced to listen to "Hotel California" over and over again?
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

This existence...

no, that's old Sava talking

but seriously, I've come to think that the Hell that is talked of in Judeo-Christian texts is really just an absence of the presence of God...

the whole "lake of fire" imagery is more likely the burning garbage pits that were in the valley, south of Jerusalem during the time of Christ... Gehenna, I believe the place was called...

I think the whole vision of hell we know today is the result of scare tactics during the Medeival period.

If there is a God, I doubt he would send you to a burning pit of flames for all of eternity... that is, if he truly loves you.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Hmmm. Consider the title of the thread and the year that the first replier joined Poly.

Coincidence? I think not! [IMG]img144.exs.cx/img144/134/emottinfoil6hz.gif[/IMG]
            What?

Comment

Hell being alive would be listening to "Fly ikke højere end vingerne kan bære" - belive me LoTM, that is worse than Hotel California.

Hell being dead - well, I may be in for a surprise, but since I don't think the religious hell exists, then I don't worry.
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

hell involves lots and lots of fat women. not just a few extra pounds (I like the padding)- I'm talking 300 pounds here.

Comment

Non existence.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Other robots
                    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Hotel California .

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                        Hell being alive would be listening to "Fly ikke højere end vingerne kan bære" - belive me LoTM, that is worse than Hotel California.

Hell being dead - well, I may be in for a surprise, but since I don't think the religious hell exists, then I don't worry.
                        "Don't fly higher than your wings'll take you"? Doesn't sound too bad...
                        I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                          This existence...

no, that's old Sava talking

but seriously, I've come to think that the Hell that is talked of in Judeo-Christian texts is really just an absence of the presence of God...

the whole "lake of fire" imagery is more likely the burning garbage pits that were in the valley, south of Jerusalem during the time of Christ... Gehenna, I believe the place was called...

I think the whole vision of hell we know today is the result of scare tactics during the Medeival period.

If there is a God, I doubt he would send you to a burning pit of flames for all of eternity... that is, if he truly loves you.
                          Burning garbage pits... er no. They COULD of been filled with garbage at one point but.... never burning, and I never knew them to be filled with garbage, but it was possible once I suppose.

Child sacrafices occured there before the Jews conquered Jerusalem.

You can go to Gehena now... I was there 2 weeks ago. Its a very, very small "valley" in the middle of a large city, there is a concert hall at one end which has lots of free concerts.

Comment

My vision of hell is a lot like Grimsby. Hang on, it is Grimsby!
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun

"Don't fly higher than your wings'll take you"? Doesn't sound too bad...
                              Yeah, that part sounds nice but when it continues "Ved jorden at blive tjener os bedst" etc, then I get pissed

Lars Lilholt has done a counter to that melody, and I like it

Læn dig ud mod en opvind
                              og tænk så frit du kan.
                              Det´ det pureste opspind
                              at der er noget der ikke tænkes kan

Lad dig bare beruse
                              af fart og højdeskræk
                              henover haver og huse
                              ja vi flyver endnu længere væk

Flyv endelig højere end vingerne bær´
                              ved jorden at blive gør dig bare sær
                              gå op imod vinden – når det bider i kinden
                              er du kommet nær.

er livet i labyrinten
                              uoverskueligt?
                              Kan du få øje på splinten?
                              Er det svært at trække vejret frit?

Så kan det hjælpe at svæve
                              som en albatros.
                              Du vil ryste og bæve,
                              når du hæver dig op over os

Flyv endelig højere end vingerne bær´ …..

Blot du husker at solen
                              kan brænde vinger af.
                              Stik ikke noget under stolen
                              brændte vinger er her masser af

Flyv endelig højere end vingerne bær´ …..
                              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                              X