Chewing Gum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chewing Gum

I've just noticed, that in most stores I can only buy chewing gum from one producer. There are many types and flavours, but only one producer (a multinational whose
    name starts with W, let's not advertise them).

So, how is it in your neck of woods? When you buy gum do you have a choice? Or do these guys have a monopoly?

Another thing: I'm overpaying! That's another clue about there being a monopoly. No way synthetic crap can cost this much. It's not much in absolute value (~.50 Euro per package), but when you think about what you are getting - it is.

Did you know that the white powdery substance in the wrappers that keeps the gum from sticking is actually marble dust? No joke. As for the OP, I'll keep an eye out for you.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Might as well chew whale blubber.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

We have a very wide variety of chewing gums, and most of them are decent. Not the chemical tasting, dense texture, crap chewing gum) as far as I know.

I always get Sportlife, but only the traditional smashmint, peppermint, chlorophylle etc.. I hate the new crap (cherry and the like, rush or whatever the flavours are called)
        "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
        "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

(a multinational whose
          Why not? Does Wr*gley's make bombs in their spare time?
          meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell

Why not? Does Wr*gley's make bombs in their spare time?
            Sort of...they used to own the Chicago Cubs, after all.

As to the OP, most stores I go into in the US stock Wrigley's, Dentyne, Trident, Bubblelicious, and Clorets, at the very least.

As you can see, I like my gum. Sucks that I'm moving to Singaopre...

Except that I'll have diplomatic immunity!
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Rufus, stock up, and bring it over, no one will notice. Lots of singaporeans do it when they come back from Malaysia.
              be free

Comment

Chewing gum is gay!!!!

Yuk
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                  Did you know that the white powdery substance in the wrappers that keeps the gum from sticking is actually marble dust?
                  Marble is just CaCO3.

As for the OP, we also have quite a variety of chewing gums around here, depending on the store you visit.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Marble is just CaCO3.
                    And cyanide is just CN, what's your point?
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I would go chewing any marble buildings, though...

I'm thinking some finnish firm makes plenty of the bubblegum here. Not my area of expertise.
                      I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

I stopped chewing gum after it took out one of my fillings. I no longer have any cavities (those were all baby teeth), but I never restarted chewing gum after that.
                        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                        -Joan Robinson

Comment

Re: Chewing Gum

Originally posted by VetLegion
                          I've just noticed, that in most stores I can only buy chewing gum from one producer. There are many types and flavours, but only one producer (a multinational whose

So, how is it in your neck of woods? When you buy gum do you have a choice? Or do these guys have a monopoly?

Another thing: I'm overpaying! That's another clue about there being a monopoly. No way synthetic crap can cost this much. It's not much in absolute value (~.50 Euro per package), but when you think about what you are getting - it is.
                          You're seeing a nasty way manufacturers squeeze out competitors. They make lots of variations of their product and take up all the shelf space. You see it done with soda pop and cereals.

Might as well chew whale blubber.
                          Not true!
                          Whale blubber: High fat
                          Chewing gum: Non fat

BTW: As we speak, I am chomping on a piece of Wrigley's Extra Cool Green Apple

Now for a song out of the 40's:

My mom gave me a nickle
                          To buy a pickle.
                          I didn't buy a pickle
                          I bought some chewing gum.
                          ChewChew chew chew! ChewChewChew chew, chew, chew!
                          ChewChew chew chew! ChewChewChew chew chew, chewing gum.

My mom gave me a dime
                          To buy a lime.
                          I didn't buy a lime

My mom gave me a quarter
                          To tip the porter.
                          I didn't tip the porter.

Comment

Hollywood gum is far nicer than that made by the W brand, but it loses its flavour in a matter of minutes.

Comment

I chew Extra. I'm sure they are w's brand as well. I never really noticed.

Comment

Working...
                              X