Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Iran wants nukes, should we send them some?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Iran wants nukes, should we send them some?

Lets send some to North Korea as well.

The word for today?

You know that if they had nukes and we had none, they would share them with us. How can we be less forthcoming?

Anyway, this thread is really regarding the advent of nuclear weapons. My view is it couldn't have happened in a better way or at a better time, or with a better country. Had the Germans or Japanese had them first, they would have conquered the world, nuking and sparing not. Hitler and Hirohito, their troops covering the world behind a rain of nuclear bombs. Had the US or Brits come up with them while still at war with Germany we would have used them as we did in Japan later, to save the lives of our soldiers and force a surrender. Imagine the horror of nukes going off in Germany, or Italy for that matter. It would have been as bad as Japan. That said, innocent guys who hit the beaches and died in France would have had full lives. Sixty thousand US and British soldiers died in the first 20 days...

Sixty thousand lives in 20 days...and that was just the beginning.

We would have used the nukes to save those lives and the lives of all the boys lost in the battle to overthrow Hitler. Question though, would Hitler have surrendered like Hirohito did if the allies started nuking German cities trying to force such a surrender? No, not with the death camps scattering the landscape, not a suicidal Hitler. The nukes would have been falling for much longer than in the case of Japan unless we managed to get Hitler directly with one of them. Germany would have been a nuclear wasteland.

No, we lost alot of boys in those days and as horrific as that must have been I'm very glad that the Germans of today don't carry nuclear scars.

For the same reason I'm glad the Soviets didn't come up with them. They would have started with Germany and then spread their sick revolution to the whole world on the back of the atom.

The US got the bomb and used it on two Japanese cities to prevent an invasion that would have been much more deadly to both sides. Then, after that, we didn't use them again. Because the US got the bomb first you don't have the flag of a conquerer flying over your devastated land.

USA
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Don't be silly about Iran.

Beyond that: no matter what anyone thinks about the nuking of those 2 cities, it seems humanity has been pretty lucky so far as far as nukes are concerned. USA

(The question is also: since the US government probably knew how suicidal Hitler was, would they have started using them at all?)

Comment

Etchy, I say we would have used them, without a doubt. If the American people learned that we had a way of forcing Germany to its knees, even wiping it off the map, and didn't use it? Would have been political hell to pay. Dead GIs floating in the surf of France and the news breaks that not a single American had to die...that these American soldiers had died to save the lives of the terrible goose stepping Nazi Germans who had twice put europe to the torch? The dreaded Hun?

Would have been a revolution.

I'm glad that scn didn't come to pass. I like the dreaded Hun.

Comment

Given the firebombing of Dresden, I'm pretty sure the US would have used nukes on Germany even if it hadn't needed them
        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
        -Joan Robinson

Comment

It was an unfriendly war on both sides.

Comment

Lancer

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
              Given the firebombing of Dresden, I'm pretty sure the US would have used nukes on Germany even if it hadn't needed them
              The point was that Hitler at that point didn't give a damn about Germany. Every single Nazi in a leadership position already committed suicide, themselves and their families, days, sometimes even weeks, before Berlin fell.

The funny thing is that Germany was on the right way of becoming Europe's Afghanistan, instead it became the world's 3rd economy.
              I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                yeah I prefer the friendly ones myself.

Comment

My point exactly Dis.

Comment

I don't know why but I find this thread's title quite hilarious
                    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Thanks, I try.

Comment

Lancer, if you say that in Germany you're called a revisionist. (that the war have been unfriendly on all sides)

Comment

War generally is unfriendly. I guess I'm a revisionist.

Why would the Germans take that POV? What is the interpretation of history that's being revised?

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                            That's an intersting way of defending war crimes...
                            "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                            -Joan Robinson

Comment

Was Dresden a war crime?

Comment

Working...
                              X