Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

European employment (boring statistics thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• European employment (boring statistics thread)

Remember the days Europe, particularly contintental Europe, stood synonymous with double-digit unemployment rates? It has largely gone by unnoticed but those days are quite firmly over: not one single West-European country still has double-digit unemployment rates, not even the slowdown after 2000 has changed this. Even perennial wastelands such as Spain (who's unemployment rate peaked at 19.5% in '94) has a rate of a 'mere' 8.3% today. The Eurozone's unemployment rate peaked at 10.6% also in '94, fell to a low of 7.9% in 2001, and stand at 8% now. It looks quite likely it will firmly move below 8% the next couple of years.
    The only false note is that of Germany, who's performance has been obscuring that of the rest of Europe: from a low of 6.4% in '92 to a high of 9.5% in '05, and 8.2% now.

If you suspect this is the result of people moving out of the labour market, that is not correct: employment rates have been moving up year after year in the Eurozone, not even the soft-patch in 2002-03 put a dent in employment. So whereas the US had an employment rate of 72% in '94 and the Eurozone one of 59.4%, the respective rates stood at 71.2% and 63% in '04. And by the 3rd quarter of 2005 the employment rate in Eurozone had already moved up to 63.8%. (I don't have corresponding figures for the US)
    Again Spain's performance has been remarkable, from a law of 46.1% in '94 to 63.9% in the 3rd quarter of '05. And again Germany's performance has been disappointing, essentially staying put over this time period.

And if you wonder that the employment rate crept up because the working-age population declined: it really is the result of actual job-creation. Ever since '94 the amount people that are employed has grown, again even during the sluggish years after 2000.

It's a ***** to find decent numbers but the number of jobs that have been created must amount to millions. If the Eurozone's employment rate had still been 57-58% today, there would have 8 million jobs less.
    It's unfortunate however, that a large chunk of this employment growth came from part-time and temporary jobs. Regulations regarding these have been liberalised across Europe, which has stimulated companies to resort to part-time and temporary contracts to avoid the red-tape on full-time employment. It has created jobs, but it remains a second-best solution, for employers as well as for employees.

PS: I'm using employment statistics according to Eurostat standards, which are based on ILO standards and internationally comparable. Employment figures from national agencies may be different.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Lithuanian unemployment fell to 3.1%. The service sector feels the pain.
    Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
    Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
    Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

ch grew by 3.5% last quarter.
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

“As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

q1 yoy gdp real growth in lith 8,80%.

Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
          Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Let the Good Times Roll!

Comment

Blah

Comment

estonia Q1 real GDP up 11,2% yoy.

Comment

The latest IMF outlook says that Eurozone unemployment is projected to average ~ 8.3% for 2006 after averaging 8.6% in 2005. Further, it has Germany unemployment at 9.1% in 2005 and 8.7% in 2006.

What is the cause of this discrepancy? Does the IMF have old numbers?

Also, the German numbers seem awful fishy. From 9.5% in December to 8.2% in April? They got rid of that scumbag chancellor, but that fast of a move seems unrealistic.
                  Last edited by DanS; June 6, 2006, 12:22.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Maybe they played with the numbers and redefined who is employed and who is not. Kind of like what they do in here. We have stagnated in the same (high unemployment) for over a decade and no ones knows what to do (fire the stallers?).
                    In da butt.
                    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

It's pretty good being a chemist at the present moment. I don't look for jobs, they look for me I am now trying to use that to leverage myself into a better position...
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                        The latest IMF outlook says that Eurozone unemployment is projected to average ~ 8.3% for 2006 after averaging 8.6% in 2005. Further, it has Germany unemployment at 9.1% in 2005 and 8.7% in 2006.

What is the cause of this discrepancy? Does the IMF have old numbers?

Also, the German numbers seem awful fishy. From 9.5% in December to 8.2% in April? They got rid of that scumbag chancellor, but that fast of a move seems unrealistic.
                        Can you give me a link? Is it according to ILO standards? I don't check IMF publications.

Germany's unemployment figures are typically volatile and those of the past few months are provisional. Definite figures appear the Labour Force Survey.

Pekka: all the data are according to harmonised standards (in turn based on ILO standards) and these haven't changed recently.

The Eurostat definition of unemployed people are those aged 15 to 74 and who, following the International Labour Organisation (ILO) definition:
                        - are without work;
                        - are available to start work within the next two weeks;
                        - and have actively sought employment at some time during the previous four weeks.
                        The Eurostat figures also state Finland's unemployment fell by half since '94 and the employment rate went up from 60% to nearly 70%.
                        Last edited by Colon™; June 6, 2006, 13:02.
                        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Colon, give me a break, I'm yawning here
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

See chapter 1, page 16...

April 2006 World Economic Outlook (WEO) Table of Contents with links to the full text in PDF format
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Couldn't find any info on their sources or methodology but I suspect they're using the ILO standards. An explanation might be that they're using the average over the year while the figures I cited are end-of-year.

BTW, first estimate of the april retail sales are in. They rose by 1.4% vs the previous month in the Eurozone and by 2.8% in Germany, and these aren't annualised numbers. The 2nd quarter may be a very good one indeed.
                              Last edited by Colon™; June 7, 2006, 05:52.

Comment

Working...
                              X