Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have aliens already landed? In India? In 2001?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have aliens already landed? In India? In 2001?

As bizarre as it may seem, the sample jars brimming with cloudy, reddish rainwater in Godfrey Louis’s laboratory in southern India may hold, well, aliens. In April, Louis, a solid-state physicist at Mahatma Gandhi University, published a paper in the prestigious peer-reviewed journal Astrophysics and Space Science in which he hypothesizes that the samples—water taken from the mysterious blood-colored showers that fell sporadically across Louis’s home state of Kerala in the summer of 2001—contain microbes from outer space.

hmm... *waits for mr big shot to give his reason as to why it can't possibly be an alien*
    be free

picture time!
    Attached Files
    be free

Comment

That's not the same ones with that probe thingy I never tell anyone about.
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

The most likely explanation is that they're from Earth.

Comment

Jelly beans

I say we ask techumseh to tell us what he thinks about all this, then conclude the opposite.

Comment

They have no DNA or RNA yet they seem to reproduce. Yet, if someone truly thought it was alien then it would be locked up in a level four containment facility. India should have at least one.
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
            2004 Presidential Candidate
            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Nothing to worry about, this show has already been canceled.

Comment

Where do you think Mobius came from? Now you know.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                  The most likely explanation is that they're from Earth.
                  A terran life form would have DNA.

Comment

Mammalian red blood cells don't have DNA. Admittedly they're not independent life forms, but still.

That's assuming that this isn't just a hoax.

Comment

Not that I dispute the accuracy of a PopSci article, tis hard to when a prestigious paper has that many popup ads, but are there any links to the actually peer-reviewed scientific journals that these papers are supposed to be published in?
                      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

They're red, so I suggest we nuke them.
                        Long time member @ Apolyton
                        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

From the forum of PopSci:

Topic: "Mysterisous red rain" not identified?
                          redtailhawkman - created 04:19pm Jun 3, 2006 EST

Has anyone noticed that those "alien microbes" really really really look a lot like red blood corpuscles? Has the guy not had high school biology?

subtraho - 06:05pm Jun 3, 2006 EST (#1 of 2)

Except, of course, that red blood cells would have DNA in them and don't replicate themselves.

redtailhawkman - 06:40pm Jun 3, 2006 EST (#2 of 2)

Actually, red blood cells DON'T have any DNA in them. Per the article in Wikipedia, (and the human anatomy class I took about a year ago) "Erythrocytes [red blood cells] in mammals are anucleate when mature, meaning that they don't have a cell nucleus and thus no DNA." Further, this guy only says he has pictures of the cells (taken with a transmission electron microscope for some reason), "sliced down the middle", but he didn't send those pictures along with the picture of "alien microbes". Also, instead of sending the samples to a biologist or pathologist or medical doctor, he sent them to an astronomer. The experiments where he claims that the cells reproduced in "water superheated to 600 degrees" is interesting, but I would wonder why he didn't send the results of those experiments out in his press release? All in all I have to wonder whether this guy is really that dim, or thinks the general public are that uninformed?
                          bleh

Comment

I think this is the research:

THe mags:

The guy webpage:

And the book:
                            http://springerlink.metapress.com/(tvkkv1ytbcda2xugacpqzgah)/app/home/contribution.asp?referrer=parent&backto=issue,31,36;journal,1,586ingpublicationresults,1:100241,1

Originally posted by Starchild
                            Not that I dispute the accuracy of a PopSci article, tis hard to when a prestigious paper has that many popup ads, but are there any links to the actually peer-reviewed scientific journals that these papers are supposed to be published in?
                            bleh

Comment

He should let somebody else look at a sample.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X