Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"..force field works in the etherial plane to suppress all nuclear reaction on Earth"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "..force field works in the etherial plane to suppress all nuclear reaction on Earth"

Would it be a good thing if it actually existed? No more threat of nukes...

The quotation marks in the title were bogus. I'm sure you were all taken in, particularly by 'the etherial plane' bit. Particularly proud of that.

Anyway, by removing the threat of nukes from over your head the threat would also be removed from over the head of possible aggressors. I think it's wonderful the lack of world wars since the last one and attribute it mostly to the threat of nukes. Am I right? Or am I wrong and have people changed their nature so much in the last 60 odd years that they are incapable of starting a world war like WW1 & WW2?

So are all the nasty nukes, the weapons of total annialation, a good thing?

If nukes and nuclear reaction on Earth were removed from the scene totally, where would the 3rd world war break out?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

China would have a field day.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Exactly. there's a reason why "all great powers have not been fulfilling their promises to disarm in the nuclear sector" as lefties keep whining.

It would seriously disturb Earth's geo-political structure and result in lengthy conventional wars that would cost more lives than people feel these nukes would if ever used.

Comment

First, most of the world will sigh in relief that they no longer are in danger of being nuked by yanks, next, they will start a weapons race as predicted by Echty.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Germany will be stronger than Russia from one moment to another. Guess what this means for the rest of Europ and the world.

Comment

Russia might actually cease to exist as a state given their current state. They'd be attacked from two fronts after all.

Comment

Wait, given they're not growing, we probably wouldn't attack. China would though.

Comment

You guys failed to look at the other downside. All our nuclear power plants would fail at once leaving the world with some serious power shortages. This would disproportionately affect some nations, and could cause the spark needed for a conventional war to start.
                "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                -Joan Robinson

Comment

I don't think there would be much of a difference on a practical level, MAD already makes convential wars not only viable, but the only option.

And given the technological 'progress' made in weapons since the last war, the next war between great powers is going to be as big of a mess as WW1 was. It should be interesting to see what happens when 90% of the weapons platforms are destroyed in the first week of fighting when it takes numerous years and ridiculous amounts of money to replace them.
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Gen, MAD doesn't only make conventional wars the only option. It also makes them stop where territorial survival of a nation is concerned. Before MAD, countries could invade each other without fearing annihilation.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                      Gen, MAD doesn't only make conventional wars the only option. It also makes them stop where territorial survival of a nation is concerned.
                      Not really. Being occupied is preferable to the annihlation of everyone involved and likely human extinction.

Any use of nuclear weapons is likely to result in an exchange that will create a nuclear winter. It's not a realistic option although, given human stupidity and self destruction, I wouldn't be surprised if it's still chosen. Which is why I made the distinction of it being on a "practical" level.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I strongly suppose that China gets covered in mushroom clouds the momenty they try and enter Siberia with an army.

Then again, there's no MAD there.

BTW, my father has made insightful remarks about what happens when Chinese mass armies enter another country and why they can't be stopped: "They'll just start walking"

Comment

China has enough nuclear weapons to deter an attack from russia. It doesn't have enough to nuke every possible target 50 times over like the USA and Russia do, but it has enough. You only need a hunred or so nukes to create an effective deterant.

And, of course, Russia could also create a nuclear winter through it's attacks on china all by itself.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

My point is more in how likely a conventional war is. Nuclear deterrents wouldn't be such if theys didn't prevent conventional wars between nuclear powers, *on a scale* that they threaten their "core territory". Whatever that means.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
                              You guys failed to look at the other downside. All our nuclear power plants would fail at once leaving the world with some serious power shortages.
                              That's not the worst part. The earth's core would start cooling as radioactivity stops.

That will be very bad.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X