• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giant Crater Found: Tied to Worst Mass Extinction Ever

Robert Roy Britt
    Senior Science Writer
    SPACE.com
    Thu Jun 1, 8:00 PM ET

An apparent crater as big as Ohio has been found in Antarctica. Scientists think it was carved by a space rock that caused the greatest mass extinction on Earth, 250 million years ago.

The crater, buried beneath a half-mile of ice and discovered by some serious airborne and satellite sleuthing, is more than twice as big as the one involved in the demise of the dinosaurs.

The crater's location, in the Wilkes Land region of East Antarctica, south of Australia, suggests it might have instigated the breakup of the so-called Gondwana supercontinent, which pushed Australia northward, the researchers said.

"This Wilkes Land impact is much bigger than the impact that killed the dinosaurs, and probably would have caused catastrophic damage at the time," said Ralph von Frese, a professor of geological sciences at Ohio State University.

How they found it

The crater is about 300 miles wide. It was found by looking at differences in density that show up in gravity measurements taken with
    NASA's GRACE satellites. Researchers spotted a mass concentration, which they call a mascon—dense stuff that welled up from the mantle, likely in an impact.

"If I saw this same mascon signal on the Moon, I'd expect to see a crater around it," Frese said. (The Moon, with no atmosphere, retains a record of ancient impacts in the visible craters there.)

So Frese and colleagues overlaid data from airborne radar images that showed a 300-mile wide sub-surface, circular ridge. The mascon fit neatly inside the circle.

"And when we looked at the ice-probing airborne radar, there it was," he said today.

Smoking gun?

The Permian-Triassic extinction, as it is known, wiped out most life on land and in the oceans. Researchers have long suspected a space rock might have been involved. Some scientists have blamed volcanic activity or other culprits.

The die-off set up conditions that eventually allowed dinosaurs to rule the planet.

The newfound crater is more than twice the size of the Chicxulub crater in the Yucatan peninsula, which marks the impact that may have ultimately killed the dinosaurs 65 million years ago. The Chicxulub space rock is thought to have been 6 miles wide, while the Wilkes Land meteor could have been up to 30 miles wide, the researchers said.

Confirmation needed

Postdoctoral researcher Laramie Potts assisted in the discovery.

The work was financed by NASA and the
    National Science Foundation. The discovery, announced today, was initially presented in a poster paper at the recent American Geophysical Union Joint Assembly meeting in Baltimore.

The researchers say further work is needed to confirm the finding. One way to do that would be to go there and collect rock from the crater to see if its structure matches what would be expected from such a colossal impact.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

well, something good came out of global warming
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Cool.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Any trace of the giant?

Comment

I thought there was another crater NW of Australia that was tied to 250 million years ago. Now which is it?
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
            I thought there was another crater NW of Australia that was tied to 250 million years ago. Now which is it?

The Bedout is about 4/10 the size of this monster.
            Last edited by Darius871; June 3, 2006, 02:59.
            Unbelievable!

Comment

The Bart cartoon could be true of 90% of the posts here.
              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

Yeah, I was just looking for any opportunity to use it.
                Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871

The Bedout is about 4/10 the size of this monster.
                  *two* craters roughly dating to the permian extinction both from objects well over 2x the mass of the KT boundary impactor? ouch. sure sucked to be a permian lifeform.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo
                    sure sucked to be a permian lifeform.
                    Not easy being American now either.

Comment

How did dinosaurs survive the much bigger extinction event 250 million years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by One_more_turn
                        How did dinosaurs survive the much bigger extinction event 250 million years ago?
                        Simple. They weren't around at the time and evolved afterwords. Only about 80% of land animals died out so the remaining 20% are what everything existing today is decended from. There were some really freaky taxa prior to this event which were totally unlike anything we have now days. The end Permian event really narrowed down the types of life forms on this planet.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Trichordates.

Comment

Crocodiles and alligators are living prehistoric.
                            The species, not an individual.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                            X