Windows XP trick needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP trick needed

I have a folder with a large number of files in it in Windows XP. I need to create a text list of all the file names in a Word document. Is there any easy way to do this? Or am I stuck typing them all out?
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Start->run

Type in "cmd" to launch the command prompt

Navigate to the directory the document is in...(use the "cd" command to change directories; eg: cd "My Documents" -- note, files/directories with spaces in them are enclosed in quotes). If you need help with this let me know.

Once you're in the directory with the files you want, type:
    Code:
    dir /B
    If you want it to list only Word Docs:
    Code:
    dir /B *.doc
    Then right click on the screen, select "Mark" so you can select the text you want to copy. Then select the text you want to copy, and right click.

Then paste in Word.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Can't you do something like "dir > foo.txt"?
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Do you really think foo.txt is a Word Doc?

Yes, you can pipe the output to a plaintext file if you would like. That's a dumb idea if he wants it in a Word Doc.

/shoo
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Unless, of course there are many files and copy/pasting the names one cmd screen at a time is too tedious
          får jag köpa din syster? tre kameler för din syster!

Comment

Gee, converting text to a word doc is just way too complicated.
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

This place is so full of ***holes.
              What?

Comment

So many jackasses, so little time.

I'll upload (App) ListMaker 3.2. Go get it.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I like Word 2007.
                  B♭3

Comment

I like chocolate cake.
                    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

For instance, if you want to make a list of your filed MP3's, will Word do it? I don't think so. At least not neatly.
                      (App) ListMaker 3.2 will.

+-------------------------------------------------+
                      SlowwHand's Albums
                      +-------------------------------------------------+

D:\SlowwHand's Music\38 Special - Wild-Eyed Southern Boys (1980)\
                      D:\SlowwHand's Music\60's Top 25 Singles\
                      D:\SlowwHand's Music\Aaron Neville - The Very Best of Aaron Neville (2000)\
                      D:\SlowwHand's Music\Ace Moreland - Keepin' A Secret (1996)\

and on and on.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Aaron Neville?

are you sure you have a penis?
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

Variety. I need to copy back a lot of classic rock from cd.
                          Last edited by SlowwHand; June 2, 2006, 09:34.

Comment

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll try again when I'm back at work on Monday.
                            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                              I like chocolate cake.
                              I like potatoes.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X