Woman hit by lightening while praying - in her kitchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman hit by lightening while praying - in her kitchen

DAPHNE, Ala. -- Worried about the safety of her family during a stormy Memorial Day trip to the beach, Clara Jean Brown stood in her kitchen and prayed for their safe return as a strong thunderstorm rumbled through Baldwin County, Alabama.

But while she prayed, lightning suddenly exploded, blowing through the linoleum and leaving a blackened area on the concrete. Brown wound up on the floor, dazed and disoriented by the blast but otherwise uninjured.

She said 'Amen' and the room was engulfed in a huge ball of fire. The 65-year-old Brown said she is blessed to be alive.

Firefighters said its likely she was hit by a bolt of lightning that apparently struck outside and traveled into the house yesterday afternoon. She was found lying on the floor by her 14-year-old granddaughter.

Fire officials think the lightning likely struck across the street from the couple's home and traveled into the house through a water line. The lightning continued into the couple's backyard and ripped open a small trench.

A family member said he will no longer assume it is safe to be indoors during a lightning strike.

Dime-sized hail and wind gusts of up to 45 miles-per-hour moved across coastal Baldwin County. As much as three inches of rain fell in some areas in three hours.

Who the heck did she piss off?
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

The 65-year-old Brown said she is blessed to be alive.
    Lucky, yeah. Blessed? Clearly not.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

she was praying for a new kitchen sink
      Pentagenesis for Civ III
      Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
      Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

The 65-year-old Brown said she is blessed to be alive.
        Yeah, why exactly, when **** like this happens, do people think they are "blessed to be alive" anyways?

No, dumbass, you would be blessed if you didn't get hit with lightning in the first place.

Or rather, you'd be blessed if a billion dollars fell into your kitchen. But not a lightning bolt.

Silly religionistas.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Reminder to self: Pray to the CORRECT god during the next rainstorm
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Maybe the lightening strike would have been fatal otherwise. We don't know.
            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I'm not a Christian and I'd hate to ever be one, but you guys have to remember that many Christians don't view all "bad happenings" as an act of unluckiness or Satan.

If she actually got killed by this, many Christians will just view it as God needing her more, or God deciding it's time for her to go, and so struck her with lightning, which to them would be an act of God walking in mysterious ways.

Of course it is all ridiculous, but it's what they believe; and they are entitled to that.
              be free

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                Reminder to self: Pray to the CORRECT god during the next rainstorm
                Gimme a T
                Gimme a H
                Gimme a O
                Gimme a R

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                  There's no reason to assume that not dying of a lightnight strike is good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                    A God that could save her from being killed by lightening is the same God who could have prevented the lightening to begin with.

Unless...

Monotheism is a crock, and the ancient Greeks had it right all along! Here's this woman, praying to some false god named Jesus, and her blasphemy pisses Zeus off so bad that he hurls a thunderbolt at her; but because she was praying in her kitchen, Hestia took pity on her and diverted her brother's bolt as best she could, sparing the woman's life.

Now that makes sense!
                    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

[Thor, angered by Rufus T. Firefly's obvious pro-Greek bias, causes dark clouds to begin to ominously gather over the offender's head ]

Comment

I told you God hates Christians. But did you listen, nooooooooo!
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                          [Thor, angered by Rufus T. Firefly's obvious pro-Greek bias, causes dark clouds to begin to ominously gather over the offender's head ]
                          Now that I think of it, the largest cast iron statue in the world is a statue of the Roman god Vulcan...in Alabama! Maybe we're both wrong.

Forgive me, mighty Jupiter!

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
                            If she actually got killed by this, many Christians will just view it as God needing her more, or God deciding it's time for her to go, and so struck her with lightning, which to them would be an act of God walking in mysterious ways.

Of course it is all ridiculous, but it's what they believe; and they are entitled to that.
                            They are funny that way.

When somebody dies God calls her away. OTOH if such a person recovers from an illness her friends' prayers worked, or something.

Can't do no wrong, yes?
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Nevermind that she was hit by lightning, in her kitchen, after she prayed. The lightning bolt didn't even hit her house, but rather across the street and through a water pipe. How much more unblessed can one get? It hitting the water plant and travelling through MILES of pipe? It hitting the ****ing ocean, travelling upstream through to a sewage treatment plant, shooting through the sewer system and blasting her from the toilet down the hall on the other side of the house? Shooting from a toilet in a neighbor's house? Three doors down the street?

Blessed, my ass. Freak.
                              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Working...
                              X