No announcement yet.

Aaannnnnddd Spider-Man3 is officially gonna suck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't need a bunch of clowns whose homeland's primary export is "Middle-earth" to make a commentary on NYC movies.
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Excuse me, Superman 1 happens to be my favourite movie of all time.
      be free

Comment

Originally posted by Sn00py
        Excuse me, Superman 1 happens to be my favourite movie of all time.

Like New Zealand and Middle-Earth, Metropolis is a made-up place!
        Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Rottentomatoes to the rescue!!

When a failed nuclear fusion experiment results in an explosion that kills his wife, Dr. Otto Octavius (Alfred Molina) is transformed into Dr. Octopus, a cyborg with deadly metal tentacles. Doc Ock blames Spider-Man (Tobey Maguire) for the accident and seeks revenge. Meanwhile, Spidey's alter ego, Peter Parker, faces fading powers and self-doubt. Complicating matters are his best friend's (James Franco) hatred for Spider-Man and his true love's (Kirsten Dunst) sudden engagement to another man.

93% fresh, with 95% fresh for the 'Cream of the Crop'

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

one of these days I should get around to watching spiderman 2. I didn't care for the first one that much though.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              I consider Spiderman 2 to be the best Superhero movie ever made

any movie where Alfred Molina is the bad guy can, by default, be no better than 4/10

Part of it is that the character of Spiderman is just weak (as he's probably supposed to be)... he's a whiny little *****. But that aside, Tobey Maguire does a decent job of playing the role, I suppose. You can't do a better job of playing a whiny little *****, I guess. Kirsten Dunst is a horrible actress. Franco I like, but he is not a good enough actor to make up for the rest of the movie sucking.

(and really, a lot of the complaints I have can be applied to Spiderman 1 as well)

The story doesn't flow... it just feels too scripted. Like things in the movie are happening regardless of what everyone involved does. And that's probably the result of poor directing... or the actors having weak presence... or both.

It's like the new Star Wars movies... they cared more about making the movie a special effects wonder then they did about making it a good movie.

And it wasn't even enjoyable as an action/comic book type movie... just senseless environment destruction... CG effects, and finally THE EVIL ALFRED MOLINA dies...

how lame
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Molina was a perfect Doc Ock. Couldn't have casted it any better.

As for making it a 'special effects' wonder . The entire movie was about a very compeling story about the hardships a superhero has to go through and how it weighs down his personal life. The pressure has to be immense to give it up and just be a normal guy.

But you never see that in Superman or Batman, they can be superhero and be back in just enough time to change and look pretty enough for their next assignment or social gathering. PAH! PAH, I say!

Spidey 2 gives you that feeling, that notion that this superhero thing isn't all easy. You have to give up something of yourself. You have to choose to forgo an easy life to go fight crime.

Spiderman 1 was the lackluster one... and the sequal was miles above the first, in all aspects. Perhaps the first one can be called a special effects wonder, but in NO WAY can the 2nd one be. It has the best plot I've ever seen in a superhero flick. One that actually explores what it means to be a superhero and not just oooh, what a brilliant enemy X is fighting against.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Rottentomatoes to the rescue!!

When a failed nuclear fusion experiment results in an explosion that kills his wife, Dr. Otto Octavius (Alfred Molina) is transformed into Dr. Octopus, a cyborg with deadly metal tentacles. Doc Ock blames Spider-Man (Tobey Maguire) for the accident and seeks revenge. Meanwhile, Spidey's alter ego, Peter Parker, faces fading powers and self-doubt. Complicating matters are his best friend's (James Franco) hatred for Spider-Man and his true love's (Kirsten Dunst) sudden engagement to another man.

93% fresh, with 95% fresh for the 'Cream of the Crop'

With their budget, they decided to spend 1/4 of it on the movie and 3/4 of it bribing everyone to say great things about it.

Can't fool me, I know a bad movie when I see one.

The rule of thumb goes like this:

1. If a movie gets no advertisement, it is either an extremely bad movie (so bad you will probably never hear about it), or a movie that is so good, it doesn't need advertising.

2. If a movie gets a lot of advertisement, that's because it needs it. i.e. Spiderman

3. If a movie gets HUGE amounts of advertisement, in many forms, thats because it deserves it. i.e. Matrix
                  be free

Comment

Roger Ebert is unable to be bribed.. as he is the man

Now this is what a superhero movie should be. "Spider-Man 2" believes in its story in the same way serious comic readers believe, when the adventures on the page express their own dreams and wishes. It's not camp and it's not nostalgia, it's not wall-to-wall special effects and it's not pickled in angst. It's simply and poignantly a realization that being Spider-Man is a burden that Peter Parker is not entirely willing to bear.

The movie demonstrates what's wrong with a lot of other superhero epics: They focus on the superpowers, and short-change the humans behind them. (Has anyone ever been more boring, for instance, than Clark Kent or Bruce Wayne?)

"Spider-Man 2" is the best superhero movie since the modern genre was launched with "Superman" (1978). It succeeds by being true to the insight that allowed Marvel Comics to upturn decades of comic-book tradition: Readers could identify more completely with heroes like themselves than with remote godlike paragons. Peter Parker was an insecure high school student, in grade trouble, inarticulate in love, unready to assume the responsibilities that came with his unexpected superpowers. It wasn't that Spider-Man could swing from skyscrapers that won over his readers; it was that he fretted about personal problems in the thought balloons above his Spidey face mask.

Comment

Molina was a perfect Doc Ock. Couldn't have casted it any better.

As for making it a 'special effects' wonder . The entire movie was about a very compeling story about the hardships a superhero has to go through and how it weighs down his personal life. The pressure has to be immense to give it up and just be a normal guy.
                      Maybe if the movie had better actors, it would have been better.

But as I said... Molina sucked. Why him? He's the type of guy you cast as a lab technician... a supporting sidekick type guy... at best... not a main villian in a movie. He didnt' play the role well. It was annoying to have to watch him play a role above his talents. I think he actually played a perp in a Law and Order. That's the type of role he's suited for.

I did literally fall asleep at one point during movie.

Originally posted by Sn00py
                      With their budget, they decided to spend 1/4 of it on the movie and 3/4 of it bribing everyone to say great things about it.

Except Imran... I bet he didn't get anything.

hahaha LOSER
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Molina sucked. Why him?

Because he looked and grasped the part of Doc Ock. He played him as more than simply the evil supervillan bent on world domination.

As James Berardinelli put it, Molina struck the right balance in the character. Not playing him over the top or too low key.

Comment

Roger Ebert is unable to be bribed.. as he is the man

Now this is what a superhero movie should be. "Spider-Man 2" believes in its story in the same way serious comic readers believe, when the adventures on the page express their own dreams and wishes. It's not camp and it's not nostalgia, it's not wall-to-wall special effects and it's not pickled in angst. It's simply and poignantly a realization that being Spider-Man is a burden that Peter Parker is not entirely willing to bear.

The movie demonstrates what's wrong with a lot of other superhero epics: They focus on the superpowers, and short-change the humans behind them. (Has anyone ever been more boring, for instance, than Clark Kent or Bruce Wayne?)

"Spider-Man 2" is the best superhero movie since the modern genre was launched with "Superman" (1978). It succeeds by being true to the insight that allowed Marvel Comics to upturn decades of comic-book tradition: Readers could identify more completely with heroes like themselves than with remote godlike paragons. Peter Parker was an insecure high school student, in grade trouble, inarticulate in love, unready to assume the responsibilities that came with his unexpected superpowers. It wasn't that Spider-Man could swing from skyscrapers that won over his readers; it was that he fretted about personal problems in the thought balloons above his Spidey face mask.
                          Well, I don't know who he is, but he must never have heard of Batman 1; and didn't X-Men come out before Spiderman 2?

I'm sorry, but your friend got bribed or drugged.
                          be free

Comment

Batman 1 wasn't that great.

I hate some of the silly bad guy stuff. Like the deal with the makeup. Stupid. If anything, Batman returns is better than Batman1. But even that had the stupid deal about pouring the stuff in the city's water supply. Argh.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava

any movie where Alfred Molina is the bad guy can, by default, be no better than 4/10
                              You mean to say that you didn't love "Maverick"?

In truth Alfred Molina is a really good actor. Check out "Frieda" sometime, he's terrific in that.
                              He's got the Midas touch.
                              But he touched it too much!
                              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                                I did literally fall asleep at one point during movie.
                                That's okay Sava, you were probably high...
                                Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                                1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Working...
                                X