Kerry vs. Swift Boat Veterans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
    Yep. His actions when in reserve status were enough to warrant that he did not deserve honorable discharge.
    Actions such as...???

Comment

Only Murtha never attempted to negotiate with AQ whilst Kerry did try his hand with the N Vietnamese.
      F'instance...???

(There's a lot of unsubstantiated mud being thrown around here)

Comment

Kerry met on two seperate occasions with N Vietnamese officials. Once in June 1970 which he commented upon in Senate testimonial namely:

"I have been to Paris. I have talked with both delegations at the peace talks, that is to say the Democratic Republic of Vietnam and the Provisional Revolutionary Government and of all eight of Madam Binh's points it has been stated time and time again, and was stated by Senator Vance Hartke when he returned from Paris, and it has been stated by many other officials of this Government, if the United States were to set a date for withdrawal the prisoners of war would be returned."
        This is expressly forbidden by US military code for a standing officer (even in reserves) to embark upon discourse with foreign governements.

It likewise is forbidden in civil statute (U.S. code 18 U.S.C. 953, declares it illegal for a U.S. citizen to go abroad and negotiate with a foreign power).

He made a second simlar trip in summer of 1971 as documented in FBI files.

Coincidentally he embraced the N Vietnamese position's 7 point plant whole heartedly in 1971. Of course we have his campaign managers (meehan) statement that he was simply there on a fact findingmission. One which apparently meant adopting every position the N Vietnamese held when urging peace via the Vietnam Veterans Agaisnt War (VVAW) organization.

Scumbag plain and simple. Not even counting the slander and smear during senate testimonial.
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Yeah, allowing the war to continue for several more years was a much better idea.

btw, how did it end? I forget
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

lol run away RUN AWAY LOL

of all the people to call a scumbag for what happened during Vietnam, Kerry is not someone I think merits much attention... but hey, that's just my opinion
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I could give two ****s whether he went or not, same for W. What I take offense to his is actions when he came back, and these more than any other merit him getting a dishonorable regardless of whether he was valorous. Heck Benedict Arnold was one of the most courageous veterans of the revolutionary war, doesn't mean he wasn't a traitor.

So in other words, according to you, veterans are not entitled to their own opinions about any particular war?

Veterans are just suppose to keep their mouths shut, eh?
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                [t's more important to take note of the fact that Kerry actually WENT TO VIETNAM (and fought)... especially when he didn't have to.

You want to talk about cover ups and such?

Let's look at the other guy and his "military experience".

If we're really going to have a discussion about who was doing what back in the day, Kerry is going to come out the winner.

100% correct and is the EXACT reason that Kerry got attacked because on the record he totally pwnz Bush when it comes to military service.

The Reactionary nutjobs learned their lesson with Dan Quayle, they were ready this time.

I gotta hand it to them, it worked very well.
                We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

So in other words, according to you, veterans are not entitled to their own opinions about any particular war?

Veterans are just suppose to keep their mouths shut, eh?
                  Veterans of course are allowed to view and express their opinions after their hitch is up. While in service they are officers that report via command structure ultimately to commander in chief. Plain and simple.

Regardless even as a civvy they or anyone for that matter are NOT allowed to enjoin in negotiations with foreign powers.
                  Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe; May 31, 2006, 03:04.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                    Yeah, allowing the war to continue for several more years was a much better idea.

btw, how did it end? I forget
                    One can easily make the arguement that he and his ilk extended the hostilities as N. Vietnamese exploited his and the VVAW naivete to weaken US bargaining position. Only after Nixon bombed the living crap out of the North did they rejoin in meaningful peace talks.

As for how it all turned out with, we have the cowardice of the senate to not actually live up to treaty obligations to thank for that. People like Teddy Kennedy decided we wouldn't even bother sending meidical aid. Yey!!!!

Comment

But yer takin a nonpartisan look at the situation
                      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Since when was I supposed to be nonpartisan? I fully admit I hate Kerry.

Comment

I was talkin bout yer Nixon - Ted Kennedy rant from the 70s

Comment

Well I also make no bones about my hatred of all things Kennedy as well.

Comment

I agree with Ogie in respect to Kerry's meeting with the enemy in Paris and the grotesque parade of psychotic liars who were put forward as the VVAW. As a vet himself you'd think Kerry would have had a nose for the sort of imposters and crazies who made up the bulk of those testifying. But I guess nothing is too much for the cause, eh comrade? Kerry's actions here are not in dispute and are shameful at best.

I am also leery of Kerry's military record. It's really damned convenient that the Navy handed out medals like candy and let people go home early. Of course they only did this for one guy that I know of, a guy who was politically connected to the Kennedys. As someone who has known and spoken to hundreds of combat vets extensively, his story doesn't make a lot of sense unless you assume that he had some help from above.

Which only matters much now if he decides to hang his reputation on his war record, which seems to have been a large part of his campaign. I give him all the respect in the world for putting on the uniform and fighting for his country. He deserves that. But he doesn't strike me as particularly more deserving of his decorations than the many guys he served with, and a good deal less so than the thousands who saw a great deal more combat and came home with nothing more than a Vietnam service ribbon and a C.I.B. (and a purple heart from a real wound if they were unlucky).

Kerry's personality reminds me of Dan Rather's, though he may have mellowed a lot more over time than Rather did. But in the end both are possessed by an ego so massive that even the light to see one's duty can't escape it imo.

Oh, and just to put the record straight, I never liked Bush and voted against him twice. If I was a Republican it would have been three times, as I would have had a crack at him in the primaries as well.
                              He's got the Midas touch.
                              But he touched it too much!
                              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Well I also make no bones about my hatred of all things Kennedy as well.
                                Come on dogg even you gotta give props to Bobby

Comment

Working...
                                X