Al Gore, America's only hope ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Arrian
    Funny, of all the screwups I pin on Bush, N.O. is the least of them.

I figure the local & state officials share the blame at least equally with the Feds. At least.

-Arrian
    And the blame should be spread not only among the various governmental levels, but also spread out in time. It took decades to create that mess.
    He's got the Midas touch.
    But he touched it too much!
    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyclotron
      Apparently, some do. I've always heard it as the "Iran-Iraq War." It seemed to involve the Persian Gulf itself a lot less than the American Gulf Wars. *shrug*
      Au contraire, there was a lot of action in the Gulf proper during the "Iran-Iraq" war due to the stalemate on the ground.
      He's got the Midas touch.
      But he touched it too much!
      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

• Then I stand corrected.
        Lime roots and treachery!
        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          And Kennedy belonged to a very political family.
          Papa Joe Kennedy was prohibition-era rum runner, robber baron, first head of the SEC, and later Ambassador to the Court of St. James. That was about it when Kennedy began running.

BTW: When the GOP accused Kennedy of using his dad's money to "buy" the election in Illinois, the Kennedy camp released a "telegram from Joe Kennedy" which said: "Don't buy one more vote than necessary. I'll be damned if I'll pay for a landslide."

Comment

• Z, define "Robber Barron" for us please.
            http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• Originally posted by Zkribbler

Papa Joe Kennedy was prohibition-era rum runner, robber baron, first head of the SEC, and later Ambassador to the Court of St. James. That was about it when Kennedy began running.
              You forgot nazi sympathizer.
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned
                Z, define "Robber Barron" for us please.
                An unscrupulous capitalist...e.g. someone who engages in "stock kiting." --a consortium of conspirators begins buying and selling the shares of a corporation between themselves, driving the price up. Others see the price surge, rush to get in on the deal, and the consortium quietly sells off their remaining shares, packs up their profits and steals away leaving the stock to plunge back to its original price.

Comment

An unscrupulous capitalist...e.g. someone who engages in "stock kiting." --a consortium of conspirators begins buying and selling the shares of a corporation between themselves, driving the price up. Others see the price surge, rush to get in on the deal, and the consortium quietly sells off their remaining shares, packs up their profits and steals away leaving the stock to plunge back to its original price.
                  This is illegal right? it doesnt sound precisely the same as insider trading but it seems too big a "loophole" in laws against insider trading to have been left legal.

Comment

• I wish Gore would run again. At least he knows what he is doing.

His mistake last time was to listen to his minders instead of being himself. Gore comes across as a somewhat serious person, but one who is passionate about certain issues. In the past he has been made to tone down his passion, and that has made him look wooden.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon
                      I wish Gore would run again. At least he knows what he is doing.

His mistake last time was to listen to his minders instead of being himself. Gore comes across as a somewhat serious person, but one who is passionate about certain issues. In the past he has been made to tone down his passion, and that has made him look wooden.
                      IIRC you generally want whoever will do the most damage to the US to get elected president right? Do you think Gore would do the most damage to the US?

Comment

• This is illegal right? it doesnt sound precisely the same as insider trading but it seems too big a "loophole" in laws against insider trading to have been left legal.
                        I don't think what Zkribbler describes is legal (at least anymore) either, but insider trading is pretty different - where an investor is also a corporate officer or who has such a source (married to the CEO, or whatever) that knows inside information about events that will affect stock prices before they happen. Stock kiting is still wrong, but it honestly sounds a bit riskier than insider trading (if you don't get caught.)
                        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

• Originally posted by Sikander
                          Well there was the first attempt on the World Trade Center, by AQ and the embassy bombings in Africa.
                          True, but I guess I consider proximity to the continental United States and body counts as primary factors in whether I consider a terrorist attack to be "major."

The first WTC attack certainly had the proximity part filled, but not the body count. The embassy attacks in Africa — to be blunt — killed a lot more Africans than Americans, and were, obviously, on another continent.

So Oklahoma City and Sept. 11 are the two stateside attacks I consider to be major, in that they both filled the proximity *and* body counts "prerequistes" (as horrible a calculation as that is).

Gatekeeper
                          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

• Originally posted by Geronimo

IIRC you generally want whoever will do the most damage to the US to get elected president right? Do you think Gore would do the most damage to the US?
                            I make an exception for people who might actually have a prospect of reforming the place.

From where I stand, Al Gore is it.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Agathon...Please try to meet Gore sometime. It may just change your viewpoint.
                              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Certainly, this is a form of fraud even b/f we created the securities laws.

But if Joe Kennedy did it, shouldn't we ask his son to donate his wealth to charity to make amends?
                                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Working...
                                X