The Not-So Good Old Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Q Cubed
    ...so, in short, to say that technology has an end point, is, in my personal (and obviously correct) opinion, folly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
      The human race has never had it so good.
      The human race has never had to live with the possibility of it's extinction untill only very recently.
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

True, but in the caveman days you could just **** in the cave and move to the next one.
        There were never enough caves for that to work. Before indoor sanitation tech, people at least dug a hole.

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd

The human race has never had to live with the possibility of it's extinction untill only very recently.
          all it would have ever required was one unlucky asteroid encounter.

Note as well how hard it is to find any of our neanderthal friends these days.

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd

We've already had what, six mass extinctions on this planet? How many were caused by humans?
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

all it would have ever required was one unlucky asteroid encounter.
              That's a pretty minor threat, comparitevely, and something that is a constant for all life forms in every time. We have, now, added threats of extinction that are drastically more urgent in addition to that threat.
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

How far we have gone in just 15,000, all thanks to agriculture...
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

It's Logan's Run, only without the technology!
                  I remember when one of our local stations was running ads for that show....Logan's Run: Don't ask about the retirement benefits!
                  He's got the Midas touch.
                  But he touched it too much!
                  Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Personally, I think that technology is simply a form of progress, of change, and since it never ends...
                    I can take a walk and make progress. That doesn't mean I'm not going to reach the end of the path. Just because something progresses doesn't mean that it doesn't have an end. A lot of people assume that technological advancement will never end, but I've never seen a good argument for that. The norm is for things to end, not just keep going on forever. You and I disagree about time and space. You think they have a beginning, but I don't. We both think they don't have an ending, but we are just speculating. I just don't think there is any justification to assume that technological advancement is an infinit thing.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Part of the reason I see technological advancement as unterminated is that in its very nature, it is an iterative, almost inertial, process that thrives in an open system.

It will continue to advance as technology and innovation feed off of itself, and unless stopped by something, will continue to do so; however, in an open system, where energy and information are continually added, there's nothing there to stop it.

Sure, human technological advancement will stop when, say, humanity is rightly exterminated by a just and loving god. Until such a point in time occurs, however, there's no reason to think progress will stop.
                      B♭3

Comment

It will continue to advance as technology and innovation feed off of itself, and unless stopped by something, will continue to do so; however, in an open system, where energy and information are continually added, there's nothing there to stop it.

But it doesn't always feed off of itself. It only does that sometimes, and only to a limit. If it could continually feed off of itself then it would be infinite.

Comment

When hasn't technological progress fed off of itself, at least in part? Every new iterative development, say, with silicon chips, is designed based off of the previous generation. New ideas and new concepts may arise and come into play, but often they'll only do so because the conditions are right for such a "mutation" to occur.

Even when there is a revolutionary change, the precursors are there that create an environment to engender it.

So, I ask you, when hasn't technological progress not fed off of itself, at least in part?
                          B♭3

Comment

When hasn't technological progress fed off of itself, at least in part? Every new iterative development, say, with silicon chips, is designed based off of the previous generation. New ideas and new concepts may arise and come into play, but often they'll only do so because the conditions are right for such a "mutation" to occur.

Even when there is a revolutionary change, the precursors are there that create an environment to engender it.

So, I ask you, when hasn't technological progress not fed off of itself, at least in part?
                            right.

Even if kid is right about tech eventually reaching a kind of asymtopic 'ceiling' beyond which substantial progress is very slow or impossible, everything in our history suggests that ceiling either doesn't exist or is nowhere in forseeable sight.

Comment

So are you saying that every single techological advancement can be fed upon? .... And that advancement fed upon, and so forth to infinite?

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                                So are you saying that every single techological advancement can be fed upon? .... And that advancement fed upon, and so forth to infinite?
                                That is what history has shown us so far, hasn't it?
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X