Computer problem - Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer problem - Windows

All of the sudden, every document and folder on my computer is marked "Read Only". I can unmark it and change stuff then, but why? What do I need to do to stop that?

EDIT: And they change back after a few minutes.
    Last edited by mrmitchell; May 22, 2006, 23:14.
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Sorry, Asher is currently banned, you're out of luck.

Comment

Spyware?
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I figured it was something like that and tomorrow I'll do a spyware and virus check but if someone here knew the virus/spyware that specifically did that it would really help. As I'm pressed for time and have to focus on this report that I have to figure out how to print right now
        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

sounds like a virus.

when in doubt format c

Comment

Too many strains of spyware to keep track of them all.

Keep your computer tight.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Interesting title. Makes it sound like your computer problem is Windows ...

Comment

Discover the innovative world of Apple and shop everything iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Mac, and Apple TV, plus explore accessories, entertainment, and expert device support.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
                  I figured it was something like that and tomorrow I'll do a spyware and virus check but if someone here knew the virus/spyware that specifically did that it would really help. As I'm pressed for time and have to focus on this report that I have to figure out how to print right now
                  Not sure what it is, but Ad-Aware and Spyware (something) should be able to locate it if it is spyware.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                    www.apple.com
                    I'm trying to be surprised at the response. No, really, I am.

It does look like some form of spyware--listening to the description of the problem suggests it's not hardware here, since in that case data corruption and bootup would be much harder to deal with. Can't give you more help right now, though, since I'm on teh j0bz0rz.
                    B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed

I'm trying to be surprised at the response. No, really, I am.
                      It'll solve his problem. There are quite a few mac users who post to the OT. When was the last time one of them posted about a problem they were having?

I can't remember and I would be the most likely candidate to be asked to fix it. Yet it's an odd week when there aren't at least a few "Windows is ****ing up for no apparent reason" threads in the OT.

The only Mac gripe threads I can remember are ones from Windows users who were Macnoobs and wanted to know how to do basic stuff that works a little differently on the Macintosh.

Everyone should buy a Mac now that you can dual boot Windows on it. You can use the Mac OS for everything else, and the joke OS for gaming (which is all that it is good for these days).
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

There are quite a few mac users [strike]who post to the OT[/strike].

This thread isn't going to be any fun without Asher.
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

...I shoulda known not to poke the bee's nest, but the honey, it was so tempting!

|===m===D

This is me doing the ****ing motion to the whole Windows v. Mac debate.
                          B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                            It'll solve his problem.
                            A gun to the head would also solve his problem, and would be considerably cheaper and more humane as well.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Nice to see you around and spreading your good cheer.
                              It's kind of like the flu.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X