Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Government and culture--must they evolve over a long period of time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Government and culture--must they evolve over a long period of time?

I'm reading a small amount of Legalist philosophy and a certain phrase really stuck in my mind regarding government. It seemed appropriate given the contrast between Western government and the governments of less developed nations who have attempted to institute a liberal democracy and failed, or when Western governments have attempted to directly "implant" such systems (ie. in Iraq for example).
    "To attempt to apply a benevolent and lenient government to the people of a desperate age is about the same as trying to drive wild horses without reins or whips. This is the affliction of ignorance."
    Do you think this is true?
    "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Certainly. You need to have enough time for social consensus to evolve. It evolves best if a country is homogenous in all regards (race, language, ethnicity, religion), but even then it takes time.

Comment

Working...
    X