Homemade Sushi, hints and tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Sushi, hints and tips?

The end of my second year of university is only two weeks away and to celebrate, I've thought about preparing sushi for my housemates. We all love it but the places in Norwich that sell sushi are expensive (or are 24hour Tescos).

Anyone have any experience with making homemade sushi before? I know where I can source the ingredients so that's not a problem.

/me grumbles about not being in Toronto, where every street has its local sushi joint
    Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
    -Richard Dawkins

Homemade Sushi, hints and tips?
    DON'T COOK IT!
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

You're a wealth of reasons for mandatory humour classes.
      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

I've still never tried sushi. I think I'd need people to try it with, but none of my friends are quite avant garde enough alas
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Pay for me and I'd guide you through the best London has to offer.

Though once the sake hits, I'd leave you at the worst.
          -Richard Dawkins

Comment

It's that pufferfish business that scares me the most. One wrong cut and you're screwed
            Speaking of Erith:

Comment

If you wanna pay for fugu, feel free. I was thinking more along the line of tuna and salmon. Maybe some eel.

mmmmmm, eel.
              -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Is it really that hard? You should be able to get good sushi rice recepies online.

The biggest thing is getting the best fresh fish you can. That alone will be the biggest deciding factor in how good it is. That is why even homemade it will probably not be cheap.
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Stop being such a big Homo, raw sushi.....

Comment

That place in Tombland isn't all that expensive is it? Went there the other week with my gf who lives in Norwich.

As for making it yourself, I guess the main concern is to get the freshest fish possible (if you want to make sashimi or nigri anyway). You can get the seaweed, rice etc in most big supermarkets, as well as the rolling mat. Then you need some shap knives and a webpage to tell you where to cut etc This is worth watching for comedy value alone http://www.eatsushi.com/demos.asp

Comment

Stop being a big homo? I wasn't planning on decorating a comfortable studio apartment as I'm buggered by a large hairy man while I'm preparing this sushi. It would be distracting and my housemates might have their dining experience ruined.

Would a more heterosexual dish be more appropriate?
                      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by lightblue
                        That place in Tombland isn't all that expensive is it? Went there the other week with my gf who lives in Norwich.

As for making it yourself, I guess the main concern is to get the freshest fish possible (if you want to make sashimi or nigri anyway). You can get the seaweed, rice etc in most big supermarkets, as well as the rolling mat. Then you need some shap knives and a webpage to tell you where to cut etc This is worth watching for comedy value alone http://www.eatsushi.com/demos.asp
                        Shiki? It's good but not exactly that student friendly price wise.

A gf in Norwich? Oh, there's the distinct possibility we've run into each other without realising it.
                        -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Sushi Links offers links to the best sushi recipes, sushi tips, and sushi supplies on the Internet, as well as restaurants in Montreal.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                            I've still never tried sushi. I think I'd need people to try it with, but none of my friends are quite avant garde enough alas
                            You are so uncultured, Rich

As for sushi making, Sloww's site seems pretty good. Just have to make sure the rice is clumpy enough and the fish is fresh, then experiment.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Yeah Shiki, that's the place. To be honest I think you'll struggle in England to get decent sushi for much less than that. I think we spent about £20 a head, which i guess is a bit above normal student price ranges.

Comment

Working...
                              X