Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you embarrassed to be a homo sapiens sapiens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Last Conformist

Carbon dating is never used to date anything remotely near the chimp-human divergence. Get a clue.
    "But it is also possible, he said, that the dating of the early human fossils is wrong, or that the dating of other, older fossils used in his calculations is wrong, which would partially undercut the interbreeding theory. "

Get a clue yourself. What do you think the fossils were used for, to pick their teeth? Carbon dating is "the gold standard" to which the average mutation rate calculations are compared.
    Last edited by SpencerH; May 22, 2006, 07:28.
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
      On Borneo, shaved orangutan females are apparently popular as a cheaper subsistute for prostitutes.
      How ugly are the women there?
      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
      2004 Presidential Candidate
      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH

"But it is also possible, he said, that the dating of the early human fossils is wrong, or that the dating of other, older fossils used in his calculations is wrong, which would partially undercut the interbreeding theory. "

Get a clue yourself. What do you think the fossils were used for, to pick their teeth? Carbon dating is "the gold standard" to which the average mutation rate calculations are compared.
        They're dated via stratigraphic correlation, calibrated by radiometric dates from long-lived nucleids, idiot. Radiocarbon is useess for timedepths of more than about 50k years.
        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Isn't Borneo where cannibals still exist? (No offense to the Bornean polytubbies here.)
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH

Carbon-14 dating is useless beyond 45,000 to 50,000 yrs, genius.

Objects more then a few hundred thousand years old are dated by potassium-argon and uranium-lead dating.

Comment

I feel the love in this thread.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

So, uh, Chavs are basically the UK's answer to our "wiggers," only with a less racist but semantically indeterminate name? I always figured they would be a more original loser-phenomenon. Like, say, paint-sniffers who wear a lot of leather, drink knockoff "absinthe" made of gin mixed with tonic water and turpentine, and beat women, or something. Is America's cultural imperialism hurting the rest of the world's ability to develop its own distinct human-vermin subculture?
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

the class system has always been there. It's just changed over the years as culture changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                    So, uh, Chavs are basically the UK's answer to our "wiggers," only with a less racist but semantically indeterminate name? I always figured they would be a more original loser-phenomenon. Like, say, paint-sniffers who wear a lot of leather, drink knockoff "absinthe" made of gin mixed with tonic water and turpentine, and beat women, or something. Is America's cultural imperialism hurting the rest of the world's ability to develop its own distinct human-vermin subculture?
                    As Dis says, it's always been there. Chav's have been in existance for a long long time, they've just not been classified and identified as that distinct grouping until recently. I've seen a Noel Coward movie (from the 50s I believe) with reference to chav culture that is amusingly relevent today - including the penchant for burberry; only they weren't called 'chavs' in those days.
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

After reading through the first pages, as a former anthropology major, I had a lot to add.

Then I kept reading. I now have nothing to add, except the question: why should I care what a "chav" is?
                      "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                      ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                      "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Working...
                      X