Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angst

Angst.
    Is that what you call it when you wake up and your head feels like May 1945 Festung Breslau and you don't know where you have been or what you have done or who you have done what with?

just looking for clarification here
    CSPA

No. That's called a hangover.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Or, in some circles, a good night.
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

angst is when you wake up and your head feels like May 1945 Festung Breslau and you don't know where you have been or what you have done or who you have done what with and you blame all of society, become a communist, grow you hair long, move to Florida, and ride a bike for the good of the environment...
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Angst has nothing to do with hangovers and drinking.

Comment

Angst in your pants is when you wake up and realise that you most closely resemble Munch's 'The Scream' when you're feeling your very best.
            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

haha, there's even a wikipedia entry on the subject (including "the scream")

echty, I think it has. at least mild form of it, maybe not as severe or lasting as Kierkegaard's consept (see wiki). kind of like a panic attack or something
              CSPA

Comment

Obviously the English-speaking world is expert at creating misnomers. Don't lecture a German on the meaning of a German word

Comment

actually it's a danish/norwegian word. maybe you stole it from us you bastards. or maybe it's originally swedish - "Ã¥ngest" is similar.
                  CSPA

Comment

remember when angst was cool?

Comment

Hey Molly, long time no see! Welcome back
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf
                        actually it's a danish/norwegian word. maybe you stole it from us you bastards. or maybe it's originally swedish - "Ã¥ngest" is similar.
                        It's German. One of the few phrases I can remember from my German class is: "Hast du Angst fur die Earthbeiban?" [I'm not too sure of the spelling on that last word ] "Are you afraid of earthquakes?"

Comment

Ja, it's both. The question is who invented it first? Maybe the ancient Germanic tribes from the Volga Delta or where ever it was they came from.

So, hast du Angst für die Erdbeiben, oder was??
                          CSPA

Comment

Erdbeben
                            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Schadenfreude is a far better import from German
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X