Happy freedom to Gangerolf & co

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy freedom to Gangerolf & co

Greetings to you for your 101 year of getting rid of that opressing rule of the evil swedes

Hope you soon will come back to mama
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

You're 364 days too early, and one year off.

Still,

As a personal tribute, I will now think real hard about cross country skiing for 30 seconds, and vast amounts of crude oil for another 15.

Comment

Ehrm, If I'm not wrong, then they got rid of the evil swedes in 1905 so it must be 101 this year.
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

The nomenclature in this thread earns my approval. It's "Evil Swedes" and "Evil Evil Finns", for those who don't have a full grasp of it yet.
        Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
          Ehrm, If I'm not wrong, then they got rid of the evil swedes in 1905 so it must be 101 this year.
          It was 17 May 1905, which means you're 364 days too early, and it's 102 years, not 101.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston

It was 17 May 1905, which means you're 364 days too early, and it's 102 years, not 101.

I might be wrong, but isn't the current year 2006 ? According to my arithmetic that gives 101 years - what kind of bottle had you entered ?

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Winston

It was 17 May 1905
              No it wasn't.

If we were to celebrate our independence from Sweden, the day would be either the 7th of June (when the declaration was made by Parliament), the 13th of August (when the referendum was held), the 23rd of September (when diplomatic agreement with Sweden was reached) or the 26th of October (when the Swedish parliament ratified the agreement).

The 17th of May was when the Norwegian constitution was hammered together, in the year 1814, as an attempt to keep Norway Danish, or at least out of the hands of the Swedes. Which failed at the time, but at least led to a different kind of union than we might have had otherwise (i.e. with Norway as a separate entity with its own parliament and laws, merely sharing a king and a foreign policy with Sweden).

Comment

Correct.

Except my post was in direct reference to BlackCat's OP greetings, not to any particular historical event.

Happy Something, Coupla' Days Ago.

Comment

Happy Tuesday, then.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

thank you - tusen takk

but yeah we don't really celebrate the 1905 independence day much for some reason.. 17th of May is constitution day. a great constitution it is

The Norwegian constitution was inspired by the United States Declaration of Independence in 1776 and the French revolution in 1789 and the subsequent U.S. and French constitutions, and is considered one of the most radical constitutions in the world at that time.

After a Campaign against Norway by its neighbor Sweden, Norway in the Convention of Moss was forced to enter into a personal union with Sweden, forming Sweden-Norway, and amend its constitution accordingly November 4, 1814. Those amendments were revoked after the dissolution of the ninety-one-year-old union in 1905.

Several other amendments have been adopted since 1814, the most recent on 30 September 2004. To keep the constitution as consistent as possible, changes are written in a language close to that introduced in the linguistic revision of the constitution in 1903, that is a very conservative Dano-Norwegian.

After World War II and the restoration of peace and constitutional rule, there was much debate on how to handle the events of the previous 5 years. None of this led to any changes in the constitution – it had withstood the test of hard times.

here is a disturbingly national romantic photo from yesterday, from somewhere in the western part of teh coutnry

CSPA

Comment

Working...
                    X