Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet more loses for Britain's car industry.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet more loses for Britain's car industry.

Last year it was MG/Rover going bust (though a Chinese company has said they might restart limited production using Chinese made parts), then Peugot closed its UK factory, and now Vauxhall is slashing 1000 jobs. The UK car industry hasn't gotten a break in 30 years.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

The UK has a car industry?
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Not any more. Or close to it.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

You fascists are ignoring the REAL issue here. The liberalconservative biased media which is clearly back by Big Oil and their Gas Guzzling counterparts (the car industry) are keeping the focus solely on them.

Nobody is focusing on the hell that the Horse and Buggy industry has had to go through in the past decade.

Ok, sorry I just really wanted to pretend I was an angsty teenager again. But yeah how does the UK have room fora car industry, aren't approximately as large as Oregon?
        Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
        Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Nobody is focusing on the hell that the Horse and Buggy industry has had to go through in the past decade.

Comment

Au contraire - British car manufacturing is quite strong. See chart.
            Attached Files
            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

The problem for the Ellesmere Port plant is that they make the Vauxhall/Opel Astra for sale throughout Europe. Ever driven an Astra? Mediocre is the best description I can think of.

GM sucks, whether it is in Europe or the USA.
              Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Astra is very popular around here.

Comment

Astra isn't bad. It's predecessor, the Kadett otoh . My uncle had one of those.
                  CSPA

Comment

I dont know any british car.
                    I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
                      I dont know any british car.
                      You've never heard of Jaguar, Aston Martin, Rolls Royce, Bentley or Range Rover? Granted, none of those are British owned any more, but they're all traditionally British brands.
                      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Amusingly, one reason being banded about is that the UK is suffering from it being too easy to sack workers. So the French and Germans get to keep their workers making their cars because they can't be sacked.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

How are you supposed to grow in fat times and cut back in lean times if you can't sack workers? Don't those silly continentals realize that preventing the sacking of workers just limits the HIRING of workers, thus decreasing employment
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by bipolarbear
                            Danny DeVito has...

You know, at one time there must've been dozens of companies making buggy whips. And I'll bet the last company around was the one that made the best goddamn buggy whip you ever saw. Now how would you have liked to have been a stockholder in that company? You invested in a business and this business is dead. Lets have the intelligence, lets have the DECENCY to sign the death certificate, collect the insurance, and invest in something with a future.

-- Lawrence Garfield (DD), Other People's Money
                            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki

You've never heard of Jaguar, Aston Martin, Rolls Royce, Bentley or Range Rover? Granted, none of those are British owned any more, but they're all traditionally British brands.
                              Some of those brands are also losing money, at least Jaguar and Aston Martin are costing Ford billions to prop up.

Astras aren't bad, it's just that the Ford Focus and some of the Japanese alternatives are rather better.

The one about it being cheaper to close factories in Britain has been around for a couple of decades. The decision is usually more about the cost of manufacturing in a particular country and whether the unions will agree a new deal or not.

The basic problem is that the car manufacturers in Europe have been making more cars than they can sell for several years.
                              Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Working...
                              X