Postcard from Mars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postcard from Mars

One of the coolest true-color non-fisheye pictures of the Mars landscape from the rover Spirit. It feels like you're right there.

Large image warning. ~ 200K

Let's Go!
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Looks like a closeup of my cat's litter box.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Oh God. Not another NASA conspiracy theory.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Well, my salary does come from them, so I'll let them get away with that.

But I'll be watching them

Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

the camera is broken. there is no green or blue
          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

You have to wait for the next two books for that.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Thanks for that DanS.

I like the fact that the sun lights it up like Earth. Just curious, does the suns light, light up planets (or moon) as far as Pluto, similar to Earth? Or am I just being stupid again?

We should be thankful we have a planet like Mars, imagine the possibilities of having no "landable" planets surrounding us, we would truly be alone and would probably never find our way to another solar system (without practice bases like Mars to challenge us). It's almost as if someone WANTS us to figure out how to travel to other solar systems.
              be free

Comment

I like the fact that the sun lights it up like Earth. Just curious, does the suns light, light up planets (or moon) as far as Pluto, similar to Earth?

The amount of energy reaching each square meter of platary surface from the sun goes as approximately 1/r^2 where r is the planet-sun distance.

Mars is approximately 1.5 times further from the Sun than the Earth is, so it receives sunlight which is about 45% as intense. Jupiter gets sunlight about 3.7% as intense as Earth's.

Saturn 1.1%
                Uranus 0.3%
                Neptune 0.1%
                Pluto 0.06%

A full moon on Earth provides ~0.0002% of the sun's light intensity. Since human vision is logarithmic (approximately) if you classified moonlight as a 0 and sunlight as a 10

pluto 4.3
                neptune 4.7
                uranus 5.6
                saturn 6.6
                jupiter 7.5
                mars 9.4

similarly, you would get

venus 10.5
                mercury 11.4
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

You would probably be able to read by sunlight on Pluto. You might be able to distinguish colours. Not sure about that though.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The brightness of the sun on pluto would be like having a single 100W bulb in a room ~6 meters = 20 feet on a side (and 20 feet high) (and no fair having white walls)
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                    X