Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Revoutionista growing old or US getting mellow ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revoutionista growing old or US getting mellow ?

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

US to renew full ties with Libya

The US is to renew full diplomatic relations with Libya after deciding to remove it from its list of countries that support terrorism.

The US has not had normal relations with Libya since 1980, and blamed it for the 1988 Lockerbie bombing.

It lifted many economic sanctions and restored some ties in 2004 after Libya renounced weapons of mass destruction.

The US secretary of state said Libya had since shown a "continued commitment to its renunciation of terrorism".

Announcing the move to renew diplomatic ties, Condoleezza Rice praised Libya for its "excellent co-operation" in the US-led war on terror.

Washington will upgrade its liaison office in the Libyan capital, Tripoli, to a full embassy.

Monday's decision was the result of successful diplomacy and came after a careful review of Libya's behaviour since 1993, a senior state department official said.

David Welch, US Assistant Secretary of State said it showed that when a state "adhered to international norms [it] will reap concrete benefits".

Tripoli hailed the move as "a significant step on the way to strengthening links" between the two countries.

Accepting Lockerbie

Correspondents say the move was a highly anticipated decision that Libya felt was long overdue.

Tripoli's removal from the US list of state sponsors of terrorism will lift restrictions on foreign aid and arms exports, and is expected to boost economic activities between the two countries.

The announcement comes more than 25 years after diplomatic relations were severed following the 1979 sacking of the US embassy in Tripoli by protesters.

The US carried out air attacks on Libya in 1981 and 1986 and Tripoli was held responsible for the 1988 bombing of a Pan Am flight over Lockerbie, Scotland, which killed 270 people.

In 2003 Libya accepted legal responsibility for the attack and has since paid compensation to relatives of the victims.

It is also reported to have helped Western intelligence agencies with information about the Pakistan underground nuclear network.

In September 2004 President Bush ordered the end of many economic sanctions against Libya and allowed air flights between the two countries.

The restoration of full ties was delayed over concerns about Libya's human rights record, which the assistant secretary of state said must continue to improve.
    Who's next ? Castro ?
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Castro hasn't kissed our ass.

It is also reported to have helped Western intelligence agencies with information about the Pakistan underground nuclear network
    He scratched our back, so we're scratching his. It's hairy and disgusting, but hey.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Libya has stopped acting stupid. Good for them.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Libya has pretended to stopped acting stupid so they can get goodies from us. Good for them.
        Fixed.

G's a dirtbag dictator. He wants to remain that way. But he figures he can get **** from us if he plays the "I'll change!" game.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

So what you are saying is more or less that the Revolutionista (damn mispelling in threadtitle - guess that KH will spank me) is giving in ? If he is weakening will Libyia end up as a reasonably sane state or a part of a kalifat when he "retries" ?
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

Fixed.

G's a dirtbag dictator. He wants to remain that way. But he figures he can get **** from us if he plays the "I'll change!" game.

-Arrian
            Didn't work for this guy

Artist: Suddam Hussein Lyrics
            Song: I Can Change Lyrics

Some people say that I’m a bad guy
            They may be right, they may be right
            But it’s not as if I don’t try
            I just **** up, try as I might

But I can change, I can change
            I can learn to keep my promises I swear it
            I’ll open up my heart, and I will share it
            Any minute now I will be born again
            Yes, I can change, I can change
            I know that I’ve been a dirty little bastard
            I like to kill, I like to maim, I like to sing
            But it’s okay cuz I can change

See it not my fault that I’m so evil
            It’s society, society
            You see my parents were sometimes abusive
            And it made, a ***** of me

But I can change I can change
            I can learn to keep my promises I know it
            I’ll open up my heart, and I will show it
            Any minute now I will be born again
            Satan: But what if you never change
            What if you remain a sandy little butthole
            Suddam: Hey Satan
            Don’t be such a twit Mother Theresa won’t have **** on me
            Just watch, just watch me change
            Here I go I’m changing

Ahhh
            Hey, hey, hey, hey
            Hey, hey, hey, hey
            Ahhh

(Whistling the tune)

Hey Satan
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
              Libya has stopped acting stupid. Good for them.
              Actually, Khadaffi has been behaving himself ever since Reagan bombed his HQ, killing IIRC Kadaffi's step son. IMHO, that caused Kadaffi to realize that he was vunerable and would eventually be killed if he kept f**ng around.

Comment

I thought it was old Qaddafi's daughter they nixed?
                Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

The bombed his house in an attempted assassination but the big cheese wasn't in. Just his wife and kids.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                  X