Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Romania and Bulgaria Join The EU by 2007?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Romania and Bulgaria Join The EU by 2007?

Things are looking pretty good for Romani's entry in the EU next year, but Bulgaria looks more challenged.

From the BBC:

Balkan hopefuls get EU conditions
    By Oana Lungescu
    BBC correspondent in Brussels

Romania and Bulgaria are set to join the European Union in 2007 as planned, but with tougher conditions than any other member states.

A draft European Commission report, seen by the BBC, sets 10 targets that both countries need to meet first.

It says Romania has made considerable progress, but Bulgaria still has to take urgent measures to crack down on corruption and organised crime.

The report, due out in full on Tuesday, leaves the accession date open.

The European Commission will issue a final report in the autumn, and EU leaders could confirm the date at a summit in Finland in October.

The report says Romania's investigations against dozens of senior politicians, judges and public officials are conducted at a speed comparable with that in any EU member state, and high-level figures have been indicted.

Romania still has four areas of serious concern to tackle, but they are mainly technical, such as setting up a computer system to collect sales tax.

EU scrutiny

Bulgaria, however, is warned on six much more sensitive areas, including tackling money-laundering, organised crime and corruption.

The draft report calls for tangible results in investigating and prosecuting organised crime networks in Bulgaria and more efficient and systematic implementation of laws to combat fraud and corruption.

A senior EU official told the BBC that billions of euros in EU aid could be withheld unless both countries set up the payment agencies for farm subsidies, and that some food exports would be banned unless more was done to fight animal diseases such as swine fever.

To keep up the pressure for reforms, it is expected that both countries will be given five more months to deal with the outstanding problems.

The report makes clear that, if the judicial reforms and the fight against corruption do not yield sufficient results, a special monitoring mechanism could be set up for three years, even after Romania and Bulgaria join the EU. Such tight monitoring for new EU member states would be unprecedented.

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...pe/4766417.stm

Considering that we have considerably raised the bar for Turkey (and for Croatia along the way), it seems normal that we aren't too lax even with "old" members-to-be. However, I must say I'm surprised that Bulgaria is now trailing behind Romania. It wasn't long ago that Bulgaria looked much more promising. Does anybody here know what happened for such a change of pace to occur?
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

No.

EU can not absorb all new nations in this short time period.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Absolutely, especially not with with the "No" votes from otherwise very pro-European countries.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

The process to integrate Romania and Bulgaria started at about the same time as with Poland or Czech. Romania and Bulgaria arrive later because they definitely weren't prepared enough for 2004. Had they been, it's 12 countries that would have joined the EU two years ago (instead of 10), and more than 100 million new Europeans instead of 80 mil.
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Is your agenda to have the biggest thing going on, such as the number of people in it etc?

Let's just make this thing work before absorbing more folks. Or at least make it so, that there is a chance for this thing to work. The rate we're going at it, we're making sure it will all burn and crash sooner than later.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

In other words, while I think that it will be very hard for Turkey, Croatia, Ukraine or Serbia any time soon, Romania and Bulgaria won't suffer from the "indigestion" phenomenon (the EU's lack of preparedness), but will have tighter controls than before about their own preparedness.

Comment

I wasn't talking about the ready state of the candidates. I was talking about the EU.
              In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                Let's just make this thing work before absorbing more folks.
                I completely agree. Any more new members mean even more countries that will have a right to veto, which means even more conservative and undaring initiatives from the EU.

I personally think that it'll take more than 10 years for the EU to find something workable, and we definitely shouldn't have any new member in the interim.

However, unlike Turkey or Croatia (and more remotely, Ukraine and Serbia), Bulgaria and Romania are pretty much a done deal. We promised that they'd join as soon as they're ready, and we made this promise years and years ago. They were expected to be ready by 2007, but even if they don't manage it, we have to let them join at some point.

Comment

I wasn't talking about the ready state of the candidates. I was talking about the EU.
                  Yes, and I'm telling you the state of the EU is a concern that'll be taken into account for all the next candidates.

However, it doesn't apply to Romania or Bulgaria, because they're already a done deal.

Comment

We don't have to let anyone join unless we so decide. Let them wait more. It's better for everyone at the end. In the meantime then can drive more for bettering their economies etc.
                    In da butt.

Comment

We don't have to let anyone join unless we so decide. Let them wait more. It's better for everyone at the end. In the meantime then can drive more for bettering their economies etc.
                      Who's "we"? The people? Let me laugh at that

Really now, you know full well the people have nothing to do on the way the EU is led.

As to the ruling elite: they've already decided. In our name. Years and years ago. It's signed already. And they're sure it's for the best.

However, in order to seduce those pesky French and Dutch voters (for the next iteration of the referendums), they have to throw some bones, by stalling the entry of big bad Turkey.

Comment

Oh really? Then you should know, being a euro, that europeans are experts at promising, saying things and then doing completely other things. What can I say? They should have known better.
                        In da butt.

Comment

At a minimum, the EU knows what it is (or at least a structure is set), and the EU can admit new members on that basis. The current EU is a modest project, but it has a lot of positive impact in these new member states.

As to the future of the EU, that can be dealt with in its own time and course. It's better not to overmanage this at this time.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Let's just make this thing work before absorbing more folks.
                            It's your EU, not mine. But I think it's better to claim these countries for the West while you can. The price will never be cheaper.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

Who's "we"? The people? Let me laugh at that

Really now, you know full well the people have nothing to do on the way the EU is led.

As to the ruling elite: they've already decided. In our name. Years and years ago. It's signed already. And they're sure it's for the best.
                              Yeah, and that's pretty annoying.

As for Romania and Bulgaria, I think they'll get in in 2007.

Croatia is not far behind, in fact it is economically probably ahead of those two. We're being held in the lobby for different reasons. The current government is agressively trying to make a deal with the EU bureaucrats so we get in by 2009, but that's in question. We can certainly get the negotiations and adjustments ready by then, but as you said, the people in EU are sick of expansions and the bureaucrats have to walk carefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X