What is the best router?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best router?

Or... what is your favorite router (I realize it is hard to pick 'best' conclusively)? I know that sometime this fall I'll pick up an X360 and I'll like to connect to my cable modem to get Live Silver (at least), so I'd like the best possible one.

Right now I'm thinking I'm going to simply run an ethernet cord along the wall (about 15-20' should do it), but I wouldn't mind getting one with wireless for future expansion (if it isn't too expensive - I do live in an apartment, I'm not going to be very far from the router). Speaking of price, I'd rather not spend more than $70 for one.

So which company's product do you like? Or if you have a specific recommendation go ahead.

My parents have a Linksys that works fairly well for connecting 2 computers to a cable modem, and I've heard nice things about Netgear.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

D-Link is a solid brand.

Comment

According to Google, Indians are the best rooters. Must be a Karma thing.

I've used Netgear and D-Link. They were both fine. I kinda liked Netgear best, but not for any substantial reason.

I'd make the decision based on
      1) hardware requirements - does it have the right number and type of ports for your needs
      2) interface - they all seem to have a decent browser based interface. Just depends which one floats your boat.
      I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

I go with Netgear.

Comment

You can get a linksys for $50.

Comment

D-Link DI-524.

cheap without being bad.

I think Netgear cost a lot more
            bleh

Comment

Y'all are the first ones I ever saw that didn't curse routers.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Well, if you need one, it is fairly futile to critisize it .
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Linksys SRX wireless (WRT54GX). Runs at 54MB/second wireless. Excellent range. Unsurpassed.
                  http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

NED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111!!five!!
                    (Sorry, but I just had to)

and routers are beautiful things.

Browser-based interfaces, though? Browser-based interfaces are for poofters.
                    I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                      Linksys SRX wireless (WRT54GX). Runs at 54MB/second wireless. Excellent range. Unsurpassed.
                      This is what I am running and have had no problems whatsoever.
                      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

what about a router for dial up? We got a 3rd comp serving as our router and its old. Do they make em for us cavemen?

Comment

I think routers can handle dialup as well, but you need to check the product description individually. You're looking for a thing called PPP.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
                            D-Link is a solid brand.

I'd recommend the D-Link DI-624

good price, great performance, wireless with excellent range and connectivity

I've had it for a while and it's worked perfectly.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I've got the 624 as well. I find that my wireless will drop once or twice a day, but automatically reconnect after a couple seconds. Not sure if it's my computer's fault, or if the router is getting interference. Plus, you can usually find it with a mail-in-rebate, to make it 20-30 bucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X