Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With his base eroding away Bush is now backtracking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, Bush's speech went over like a lead balloon among conservatives. The Republican Party is self-destructing before our very eyes. Even Limbaugh acknowledges that the "illegal" immigration issue is the most disconserting for Republicans in the 18 years he has been a broadcaster.

"But that's not really the big story. The real big story is that, "The Senate yesterday voted against securing the border before implementing provisions that would grant the right of citizenship to millions of illegal aliens and that would double the flow of legal immigration. The amendment would have delayed the 'amnesty' and guest-worker provisions in the Senate's comprehensive immigration-reform bill until the border had been sewn up successfully. The majority of Democrats, 36 of 44, were joined by 18 Republicans and the chamber's lone independent to kill the amendment on an 55-40 vote." Well, that sort of sums up where we are here, 55-40, and, "The amendment would have delayed the 'amnesty' and guest-worker provisions in the Senate's comprehensive immigration-reform bill until the border had been sewn up successfully."

"Folks, I know, it's getting worse by the day, and it's inexplicable. It doesn't make any sense. What are these 18 Republicans doing? What is so difficult to understand about this in terms of the smart, sensible thing to do here? The first thing is the security of the border, and to have 18 Republicans, "Oh, nope, can't put that in there." Maybe they didn't like the fact that we can't do anything else until the border is secure. Well, what is wrong with that? I am trying to maintain my composure, but no matter where I look and no matter how deep I dig, I can't come up with a explanation for any of this that makes sense to me.

Here's some of the details. By the way, I need to issue a correction. Senator Sessions' fix, the top is 90 million now, between 60 and 90. I said it was 30 and 60 million that the new amendment adjustments allow for. You know, it used to be a hundred, 217 million, somewhere between there, those two numbers, after Jeff Sessions did his magic, the range now is between 60 and 90 million, but, I mean, so what? I got it wrong by 30 million, ten million here, ten million there. What are we talking about anyway? These numbers are still ridiculous, they're still absurd. I mean, it's crazy when the top figure now gets reduced from 217 million to 90 million and you think, "A-ha! Victory!"

At any rate, the amendment to delay the amnesty and guest worker provisions until the border had been sewn up successfully was offered by a senator from Georgia, by the name of Isakson. He said, "We didn't enforce the border. We granted amnesty in 1986, and 20 years later there are 11 to 12 million or 13 million who have come because of the promise and opportunity of this country, but also because we've given a wink and a nod to the security of our border." (story) Mr. Isakson's fellow Georgian, Republican Saxby Chambliss, said, "I don't see how any senator who is serious about border security and enforcing our immigration laws can disagree with this amendment. To disagree with this amendment sends the message to the American people that we're more eager to give illegal immigrants a path to citizenship than we are to secure our borders from further illegal immigration and the smuggling of illegal drugs and weapons."

And there is a lot more...

Rush Limbaugh, America's Anchorman and Doctor of Democracy, is known as the pioneer of AM radio. Limbaugh revolutionized the media and political landscape with his unprecedented combination o f serious discussion of political, cultural and social issues along with satirical and biting humor.

Ann Coulter said that we (meaning conservatives) should look on the bright side: the Dems win in November, impeach Bush and Cheney becomes president.

No, Bush has done nothing to unite his party or to stop his ship from sinking. He continues to pander and to act like a moron.
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

No surprise that Ned gets his opinions from Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter. You do realize they're entertainers and not journalists, right? You do realize they frequently have been caught lying and that's why they are classified as entertainers and not journalists, right?
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Perhaps so, but I don't see anything that Rush or Coulter said up there to be that far divorced from what far right wingers are thinking.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
          The Republican Party is self-destructing before our very eyes.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
            The Republican Party is self-destructing before our very eyes.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

If Ned said it it has to be serious.

I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                  No surprise that Ned gets his opinions from Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter. You do realize they're entertainers and not journalists, right? You do realize they frequently have been caught lying and that's why they are classified as entertainers and not journalists, right?
                  Oerdin, I assume you get that "liar" bit from Clinton himself?
                  http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                    And, btw, if you actually read the link, Rush defends Bush. I do not.

Comment

This reminds me of the war between the conservatives and the liberals that raged in the Republican Party until Reagan got elected. Well, that war is back. You can expect that liberal Republicans are not going to be welcomed by the right in the coming years. There is going to be a bloodbath.

The Dems long ago made conservatives, especially social conservatives. unwelcome in their party.

Comment

Working...
                      X