Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Native Spanish speakers: can you help me on this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Terra Nullius

Que??

What are you basing that on?
    I'm basing it on what I was told by a professor of English philology.
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

How is that not correct?

[noun] is [adjective].
      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
      -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
        It is impossibly to translate that perfect into spanish, implying both that jesus resurrected (in the past) and is still alive resurrected ( and in heaven) which is risen implies.

To translate that in spanish you would need a rather long sentence, because Ha resucitado only means (he resurrected)
        You are South American. Arent you?
        Ich bin der Zorn Gottes. Wer sonst ist mit mir?

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
          How is that not correct?

[noun] is [adjective].
          Because "risen" is not an adjective; it's a verb form (past participle). It is true that it is very common for past participles of verbs to also be adjectives, but such cases are the exception, not the rule, especially for intransitive verbs (and "rise" is intransitive). I'm not arguing about any supposed rules of "proper" grammar, I'm talking about the way English is actually spoken. Any native English speaker* will agree that something sounds wrong with "The bread is risen".

*At least any speaker of a standard dialect of English.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

Then your teachers were awful, cause as Thorgal stated, that isn't Spanish.
            Are you suggesting Sloww knows less Spanish than you? What qualifications do you have to make this assertion!?
            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
              I'm basing it on what I was told by a professor of English philology.

Well there's your mistake right there. Never trust an intellectual.

Any native English speaker* will agree that something sounds wrong with "The bread is risen".

Bullsh1t.

For example:
              Customer: Does that bread have currants or sultanas in it?
              Baker: Neither. This bread is risen.
              I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

Working...
              X