X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race Tensions Turn Red-hot in Belgium

From the BBC

Two die in Belgium 'race killing'
    A woman of African origin and a young white child in her care have been shot dead in the Belgian city of Antwerp by a suspected right-wing extremist.

Earlier a woman of Turkish descent was shot and injured as she sat reading a book on a bench in the city centre.

Police later intercepted the man, and shot and wounded him in the stomach after he refused to put down his gun.

The government has strongly condemned the attacks, describing them as an extreme form of racism.

The 18-year old suspect is currently under guard in hospital.

A spokeswoman for the prosecutor's office said the youth had been armed with a high calibre weapon.

Belgian Prime Minister Guy Verhofstadt called for calm.

"These horrible and cowardly crimes are a form of extreme racism," he said.

"We have to avoid our society being sucked into a spiral of violence. The police and the judicial system will do all that is needed for justice to be done."

The killings follow an attack last Saturday in the city of Bruges, in which a black Frenchman was left in a coma after being beaten up by a group of skinheads.

Story from BBC NEWS:
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Published: 2006/05/11 21:04:15 GMT

French-speaking Belgian television RTBF also adds that the corpse of an Arabic Belgian has been recently found, victim of a racist fight according to the family.

These murders occur one months after another murder, that of a teenager who was killed for his MP3-walkman. That near-gratuitous murder shocked the country. According to Le Monde, even though the murderers are now presumed to be young Poles, it was initially attributed to Arabs.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

the inferiority complex is rearing its head again!
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Are there enough immigrants in Belgium to start a spiral of violence anyway?

Comment

According to this document, 8.4% of the residents are foreigners. However, most of these foreigners are from the EU.

Brown people are less than 200,000 on a population of 10 million.

Edit: OTOH, these stats only mention those that still have their foreign nationality. Considering that the Moroccans and the Turks are much more likely than the EUans to ask for nationality, it might mean that there are more brown people in Belgium than 200,000
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

The way it looks now is that of a Columbine-like case with racist motives. Witnesses said he looked like he came straight out of the movie "The Matrix". The guy was also rather secluded, had far-right sympathies and wanted to "deal with disorder in society". A couple of days ago he was expelled from the boarding school he was staying in for smoking, and apparently that made him go berserk, wanting commit suicide (he reportedly asked cops why they didn't shoot him in the head) and take others with him.
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Just heard the guy had a girlfriend of Turkish descent who broke up with him right before the killing spree (but that's an unconfirmed rumour).

Just came back from a remembrance march at the site where it took place BTW. Didn't gave me the impression there's going to be a spiral of violence: a lot of youngsters and whites, also blacks, Turks, Moroccans, even chassidian Jews who otherwise never leave their neighbourhood.
            Don't forget a native Belgian as well as a Turk and a Malinese got shot, everybody is affected by this.
            Last edited by Colonâ„¢; May 12, 2006, 07:06.
            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
              Are there enough immigrants in Belgium to start a spiral of violence anyway?
              It's more like an arc of violence.
              He's got the Midas touch.
              But he touched it too much!
              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

I think it' to soon start drwaing conclusions and pointing fingers.
                After the MP3 killing, everybody agreed to be carefull the first few moments after an event, yet here we are again.

Also, at the moment, everything that happens at the moment is held under a magnifying glass (don't really mean this one).

There is a lot of frustration here though...from all sides.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                  I think it' to soon start drwaing conclusions and pointing fingers.
                  I agree. The first reports had it he was a skinhead but that didn't quite turned out to be the case.

Comment

I thought they were probably at it with the Netherlands.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

dp
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Who says we aren't?!
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

What's also bizarre is that it all took place in the touristic old town of Antwerp, which is pretty laid-back. It's very nice weather at the moment, a lot of people are chilling, enjoying the sun and then some nutcase goes on a killing spree. Just yesterday I was only a couple of streets away from the site and I had no idea what had taken place there.

Comment

To the Belgian or to the European, just what are "far-right" points of view?
                            http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Well the guy was/is obviously nuts. But if it comes out he was working alone, then everyone should just drop it. Doing sociological analysis why he did what he did is simply unproductive and it annoys me.

Comment

Working...
                              X