Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It looks like my Ford didn't break down after all.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It looks like my Ford didn't break down after all.

Some of you may recall the thread I made about a week ago where I said my car broke down on me. I thought it was a problem with the hydraulic clutch since the clutch went down to the floor and didn't come back up.

Any way, I was at the corner store a block from my house so I just rolled it out to the street and parked it there. I didn't think much of it since it was very near my house and I had a spare car to drive in the mean time. Fast forward three days later and I notice my car isn't there any more. I had been busy at work andhadn't bothered to look for the car (it totally slipped my mind) and I just assumed the car was towed. Turns out it wasn't. So after a thorough search of the area to make sure I wasn't insane I called the police to report it stolen.

Tonight (5 working days later) the stolen car unit finally gets in contact with me and he tells me this is actually very common. One of the latest trends in car theft is that the thief waits in the parking lot of a high traffic area (like the super market I went to) and after the owner goes inside they crawl under the car and loosen the hydraulic line which operates the clutch. This means the driver gets a few normal clutches before the line bleeds off to much flood and the car can no longer clutch. If someone is far from home then they tend to call a tow truck but if a driver is close to home, like at the corner store like I was, then they tend not to call a tow truck and instead just leave the car and walk home. The thieves then come back later that night and get the car (all they have to do is bleed one hydraulic line and they're off). The cop said this is all the rage right now down here by the Mexican border since the Mexicans come across to find late model cars (exactly like mine) which they then part out.

I've never had a car stolen before. This sucks.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

How do you 'forget' to go back and look for your car?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

late model cars (exactly like mine)

I thought you said your car was old.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        It's very easy. You just don't look for your car for awhile.
        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
        -Joan Robinson

Comment

Another instance showing the worth of illegals.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Damn, this sucks
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Sorry to hear it, Oerdin.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Insurance?
                Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                  I just figured I had a few days, that it was in a safe spot, and that I didn't have to worry about it for a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                    late model cars (exactly like mine)

I thought you said your car was old.
                    Late=old.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                      Another instance showing the worth of illegals.
                      More then likely they were legal but they speak Spanish and know where the chop shops in TJ are. The illegals don't normally commit crimes because the cost of crossing the border is now several thousand (remember they make near minimum wage so that's a lot) and the last thing an illegal wants is to attract attention to themselves. The other option the cop mentioned is that people will steal a car to commit a crime then dump it some where.

Comment

Originally posted by Donegeal
                        Insurance?
                        The car is old and not worth much so I kept minimum insurence on it so no pay out on this one. Luckily I own a hand me down Toyota Camry which used to belong to my grandfather so I've been using that. Still sucks to be out a car though.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Late=old.
                          No.

Late-model car = recent model car
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

A late-model vehicle is defined as:

* A vehicle 8,000 pounds or less manufactured in one of the last six model years, or
                            * A vehicle 8,001 pounds or more manufactured in one of the last 16 model years.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

The car is old and not worth much so I kept minimum insurence on it so no pay out on this one. Luckily I own a hand me down Toyota Camry which used to belong to my grandfather so I've been using that. Still sucks to be out a car though.
                              No Comp. coverage then. Doh. And yeah, late model = new.

They're probably stealing the older cars for parts, eh?

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                              X