US Dollar Decline - $1CDN = 91 cents US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Dollar Decline - $1CDN = 91 cents US

The loonie closed at 90.87 cents US, up exactly one cent from Monday's close. That was the dollar's highest level since Jan. 18, 1978, according to the Bank of Canada. In earlier trading Tuesday, it traded as high as 91.11 cents US.

Crazy stuff. Canadian dollar jokes are pretty much obsolete now, and parity is looking more and more like a possibility.

Is parity inevitable? Who benefits most from such an arrangement? Certainly not Canadian manufacturers... at least in the short run.

Discuss.

It's because we're caving into the funny money thing. The US Dollar is supposed to be all green and somber looking. In the last few years it's getting more and more bastardized. Pretty soon we'll have dollars that look like monopoly money and are worth as much.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

The new 20 is green, but not somber. I love it.

Comment

It's not so much a US dollar decline as a Canadian dollar appreciation.
        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

****ing monopoly money! You finish 2nd in beauty contest, collect $10!

It's actually not that bad, as funny furriner money goes.

GREENBACKS. End of story.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
            It is right now. But the rise to the 85 cent level was pretty much the result of a decline.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
              ****ing monopoly money! You finish 2nd in beauty contest, collect $10!

It's actually not that bad, as funny furriner money goes.

GREENBACKS. End of story.

-Arrian
              I like the 10 too.

Comment

The US$ is also declining against the € which has no reason to appreciate.
                Statistical anomaly.
                The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Look at that schnozz.

-Arrian

Comment

That schnozz was usually red (not purple). Sir John liked his drink.
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

No, the dollar is in freefall.

Comment

Canadian dollar has done well against other major currencies over the past year or so as well.
                        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

...but nobody appreciates Canadian currency. Anybody who uses it is a loon.

*rimshot*
                          B♭3

Comment

I remember when the canadian dollar was worth around 1.05 USD.

I'm old.

It didnt last long, but it still happened.
                            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

AFAIK, Canada has a strong trade balance and is strong in commodities, which have been booming. It seems reasonable to guess that the Canadian Dollar would appreciate as long as this remains the case.
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                              X