Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red China and Papa Castro Within Spitting Distance

China, Cuba reported in Gulf oil partnership
    U.S. firms stand by, prohibited from bidding on contracts; lawmakers propose opening up U.S. coast for drilling.
    May 9, 2006: 10:12 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - Plans for foreign oil companies, some from India and China, to drill off the cost of Cuba are prompting calls from lawmakers to ease environmental restrictions that prohibit coastal drilling in most of the U.S., according to a report Tuesday.

At a time of rising soaring gasoline prices caused partly by a lack of supply, legislators are fuming that Cuba is opening up its continental shelf for oil and gas exploration while most of the U.S. continental shelf outside the Gulf of Mexico, which extends 200 miles from shore, has been off limits for drilling since the early 1980s, the New York Times reported.

Firms from China and India will be drilling for oil off the coast of Cuba, but U.S. companies are prohibited from bidding on the contracts, according to a recent report.

Adding insult to injury, the Times said U.S. firms were invited to bid on the Cuban contracts, but were barred by the U.S. government due to the country's longstanding economic embargo of communist Cuba.

"Red China should not be left to drill for oil within spitting distance of our shores without competition from U.S. industries," Sen. Larry Craig, Republican of Idaho, told the Times.

Firms from Canada and Spain will also drill off the Cuban coast, the article said

Craig is introducing a bill to exempt U.S. oil firms from the embargo, much as food and drug firms are, according to the article.

There are also several bills moving through Congress aimed at opening up areas more areas of the U.S. to oil and gas exploration, including coastal waters and Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

Supporters of the bills, including the oil industry, say it would help bring down oil and gas prices and decrease the country's reliance on oil imports from the volatile Middle East.

Gasoline prices have soared 33 percent over the last year, while the price of crude oil has tripled since 2002.

But critics of more drilling say the energy obtained, which they say would be minimal and wouldn't bring down prices that much, isn't worth the environmental risks. They also say more drilling for a finite resource does nothing to promote long term conservation solutions.

Most coastal states also oppose offshore drilling, fearing unsightly rigs and oil spills will hurt their tourism industries.

The United States Geological Survey estimates the Cuban deal involves 4.6 billion barrels of oil and 9.8 trillion cubic feet of natural gas, according to the Times. The paper said that's enough oil and gas to power the U.S. for a few months.

The paper also cited an Interior Department study that said the U.S. continental shelf contained 115 billion barrels of oil and 633 trillion cubic feet of natural gas. That would be enough oil to satisfy U.S. demand, at current consumption levels, for 16 years and enough natural gas for 25 years, according to the Times.

And here's how close.
    Attached Files

Comment

That stupid embargo hasn't done anything but keeping Castro in power.
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Well, that explains why some lawmakers were falling all over themselves trying to ease offshore drilling rules a while back. Makes sense, in a ****ty way.
        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Firms from Canada and Spain will also drill off the Cuban coast, the article said

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yep, I gotta say, it's a bit embarrassing. Then again, as much as I like the idea of economic gain through the use of close natural resources they do have a point of the threat to the environment. I like having oil spills far away from US shores.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
              I like having oil spills far away from US shores.
              Yessir. You are really a nice and kind person with great interest in the good for all humanity
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                Yessir. You are really a nice and kind person with great interest in the good for all humanity
                Why thank you.

Comment

Nah, we're not much better - we don't wan't nuclear power but don't mind buying it.

Good thing - the evil swedes build a nuclear power plant some 50 km from our capital some 30 yeas ago - bad part, they are closing it down now

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
                    Yep, I gotta say, it's a bit embarrassing. Then again, as much as I like the idea of economic gain through the use of close natural resources they do have a point of the threat to the environment. I like having oil spills far away from US shores.
                    That is always a danger but I believe the recent record has been pretty good--- With large scale development though, a spill of some magnitude is likely. The good thing is that offshore spills are discovered very quickly and the newer facilities would usually have multiple ways to shut in production

I know that offshore Canada, any spills get reported to the regulators. Spills as little as half a litre HAVE been reported
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

IIRC Canadians have been workiing offshore Cuba for years . .. When I vacationed there I met an oilworker on a 2 week rotation. he said he always brought a suitcase for himself and a suitcase full of toys, household items, knicknacks to give to the Cuban people

The only good thing to come out of the US embargo is that Cuba's beaches remain largely undeveloped and less crowded. IIRC Canadians make up somewhere around half the tourists but the other half are generally South Americans and Europeans . . . makes for an interesting lingusitic mix
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

it doesnt matter who does the drilling - it will ease gas prices in america regardless of whether american companies get the contracts or not.
                        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

The tax dollars would be nice. Problem is that without an embargo the tourist industry in Florida would likely take a hit.

Comment

Oh boy - you make me weep - the poor tourist industry of florida that are forced to compete in a fair way.

They are simply evil those damn cubans when they might be able to compete with good ole american companies without limtations.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

They're not evil, not at all. I'm just saying that Florida will take an economic hit. The sugarcane industry would have a fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X